PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Many fall in this camp. I think for a lot of folks who enjoy strong, dark espresso and heavily hopped IPAs, bitter is not so off-putting.
Sound's like I should give it a try.

I've only disliked (hate is too strong a word) one blend enough to never finish the pouch; and that was some OTC I bought in Australia. I'm pretty sure it was topped with Napalm.

I spread it on the flower bed in my local part; it was certain to kill some bugs.

Last edited:

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Haddos Delight.

I’m not saying it’s bad, but it’s terrible.

If you like the taste of a rotted corpse dipped in Hawaiian Tropic and slow roasted over a dumpster fire…..this blend is for you.

I’m auditioning for a spot at Hallmark Greetings.
Having just had a large bowl of Haddos Delight (Peterson System 307) as my evening smoke I obviously disagree :)

Ryan

Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
Title edited. Rule 9.

I know tastes are varied and extremely personal but I’m just curious if there is a blend that you’ve tried that you just absolutely couldn’t stand.

In my short time smoking I’ve tried a lot of different blends thanks to a slight obsession and some generous folks and the only blend that I’ve knocked out of my pipe mid-bowl and said, “Nope, I hate it, not worth it” is Haunted Bookshop. To me it was extremely harsh and bitter with no redeeming qualities whatsoever.
I’ve tried quite a bit in a short time also, for the same obsessive reasons. I just finished a bowl of Haunted Bookshop when I saw your post.

When I first tried it, I thought there was a very peppery flavor that made it seem a bit harsh and dry tasting. I keep smoking it every couple of weeks and now I’m at a point where that harsh, peppery flavor just doesn’t seem to be there. I actually like it now.

I’m not saying that you will find the same thing to be true for you, but I have noticed that a lot of blends that seemed a certain way to me at first seem different to me now.

To actually answer your question, I tried Velvet the other day thinking it would be a mildly flavored codger blend, and instead it is the only tobacco that I have tried that really and truly bit my tongue. In a major way. I didn’t finish the bowl. The topping was just too much, it seems like a liquor (liqueur perhaps) based topping and I think that is what bit me. I’ll try it again a few times, but I really didn’t care for it at all. Worst mouth taste of anything I have tried.

J-Evverrett

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2021
Meriden, CT
I can’t do lakeland blends. Something in them makes my mouth and lips burn like hot peppers, and they taste and smell like soap to me. I had a sample of one I liked as a gift, but the label was indiscernible lol. Aside from that, the newer version of half and half. It’s a train wreck.

Beers 'N Briars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 5, 2021
Yakima, Washington
I’m also not one to waste time hating much of anything but Peterson’s Irish Cask (formerly Irish oak, I believe) was one I just couldn’t get into. Tried several times with different pipes and just didn’t work for me. Gave it to my brother in law and he loves it.

Beers 'N Briars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 5, 2021
Yakima, Washington
I'm in the camp that didn't enjoy Haunted Bookshop (but I love the name).

It jus just didn't do anything for me. As a result, I used it as "kindling" by topping off bowls with it to help other blends/flakes remain lit. HB was successful for its purpose in that manner.
I’ve still never tried HB but I’m super curious because it seems like a very polarizing blend.

Reactions: Meerly John
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I’ve still never tried HB but I’m super curious because it seems like a very polarizing blend.
Pick up a 1 ounce sample and decide for yourself.

Haunted Bookshop gets a lot of love, so I thought I was doing something wrong when it didn't appeal to me. Then I began noticing all the other negative reviews (which apparently escaped me previously).

Based on the spectrum of reviews, I agree HB is polarizing.

Beers 'N Briars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 5, 2021
Yakima, Washington
Pick up a 1 ounce sample and decide for yourself.

Haunted Bookshop gets a lot of love, so I thought I was doing something wrong when it didn't appeal to me. Then I began noticing all the other negative reviews (which apparently escaped me previously).

Based on the spectrum of reviews, I agree HB is polarizing.
Maybe one day. Living in WA limits your ability to find things. My local B&M does very little C&D and all their bulk is Sutliff. One of these days when I find myself on the westside of the state or heading to Idaho to visit some family, I’ll keep my eye out for some.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I can’t do lakeland blends. Something in them makes my mouth and lips burn like hot peppers, and they taste and smell like soap to me. I had a sample of one I liked as a gift, but the label was indiscernible lol. Aside from that, the newer version of half and half. It’s a train wreck.
When did they change Half and Half?

Seems wrong to change a classic in theory (whether tobacco or otherwise) and almost never works in practice.

jwesthurl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 27, 2022
St. Louis
I’ve tried quite a bit in a short time also, for the same obsessive reasons. I just finished a bowl of Haunted Bookshop when I saw your post.

When I first tried it, I thought there was a very peppery flavor that made it seem a bit harsh and dry tasting. I keep smoking it every couple of weeks and now I’m at a point where that harsh, peppery flavor just doesn’t seem to be there. I actually like it now.

I’m not saying that you will find the same thing to be true for you, but I have noticed that a lot of blends that seemed a certain way to me at first seem different to me now.

To actually answer your question, I tried Velvet the other day thinking it would be a mildly flavored codger blend, and instead it is the only tobacco that I have tried that really and truly bit my tongue. In a major way. I didn’t finish the bowl. The topping was just too much, it seems like a liquor (liqueur perhaps) based topping and I think that is what bit me. I’ll try it again a few times, but I really didn’t care for it at all. Worst mouth taste of anything I have tried.
I’ll probably hang on to some and keep trying it every so often. It might be a good barometer to gauge any change in my palate/tastes.

jlopez

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2022
Southwest TX
I am still relatively new to pipes and pipe tobacco so I have yet to come across a blend that I "hated" or was repulsed by.

Very interesting to see the HB love/hate relationship. Add me to the "love it" list. I have preferred HB over Pegasus, but I really enjoy both.