PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Hate is too strong and negative an emotion.

Couple of blends that were disappointing was a chocolate one from Boswell's and a rum-topped from Sutcliffe. I love both rum and chocolate so I can't understand why. Maybe the tin-note did not translate to the palate.

Gifted both to a friend who really likes them both.

Just the way our tastes vary.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
No hate, there are a few I won't buy again, a couple I immediately knew, others it took a tin or so to make a final judgment; moving them to the do not buy list. 5 o'clock shadow, ended up in the garden after the first bowl, the worst blend I've ever tried.

Sep 18, 2015
So over the years there have been several blends that I didn’t think much of, I either finish it and move on, jar it for a later trial, or give it away to someone else who might appreciate it, There has only been one that was bad enough that it had to be tossed out, John Bull I’m stubborn enough that I actually tried three bowls of it just to give it a fair shot,

Architeuthis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2021
Haunted Bookshop definitely has a rough edge to it and a notable bitter essence at its core. If these characteristics are off-putting to you, chances are you won't like it. Many fall in this camp. I think for a lot of folks who enjoy strong, dark espresso and heavily hopped IPAs, bitter is not so off-putting.

For me, overly sweet blends and cherry flavored blends are the ones that end up on the thumbs down list.

Sometimes a blend is a little too heavy handed for ones taste in a particular component. Too much smoky latakia. Too much peppery perique. Too much musty oriental. These can be remedied by a little home mixing to dilute the offending flavor down to an enjoyable level. But for some, there is no rescue. It is not about too much of the flavor, it is it's presence at all. For @Chasing Embers it is the treacle flavor in Stonehaven. For me it is anything cherry. YMMV.

Meerly John

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2021
Mid-USA
I think which generation of cough syrups repulsed us is relevant.

Now that you mention it, I can smell a medicinal note to the molasses in the jar note of Stonehaven. Being born in the 90's, it's not something I associate with anything else though, I quite enjoy it.

All of this reminded me of a tin of Ashton Guilty Pleasure which I gave away, and many fruit flavored aros like it. Much closer to my own childhood experience of, of all things, cough syrup. Also reminded me of flavored flouride.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
There always evens to be some dismissive comments regarding Haunted Bookshop so much so that I dreaded opening up a tin. So after a year of waiting, I dug out a tin of it and nothing strange happened. It tasted like,,, burley.

I once berated it as bland and tasteless hot air. Now I appreciate it more. Still not a favorite, but I enjoy a bowl every now and again.

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
Haddos Delight.

I’m not saying it’s bad, but it’s terrible.

If you like the taste of a rotted corpse dipped in Hawaiian Tropic and slow roasted over a dumpster fire…..this blend is for you.

I’m auditioning for a spot at Hallmark Greetings.
Just to counter Ash’s hate?
I love Haddos and Royal Yacht!
Hates, I don’t know, some aromatic I guess?

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
Borkum Riff, nasty tobaccos.
The most disgusting mixture of some artificial garbage sold as tobacco was Sail Black. It's still being sold so there are obviously smokers who like it.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I think which generation of cough syrups repulsed us is relevant.

I was born in the early '70s and there was many OTC remedies that could make a child sicker than they actually were. The black treacle cough syrup, castor oil, a syrup made of creosote, and many others. It got to a point that me, my siblings, and cousins would have to be on the verge of dying before we admitted to being sick.

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
OK, some hates or dislikes are getting tossed or given away. Some get jarred until the taste or person tasting change then they are OK or Great. I have a few disagreeable tins. I'll probably try them out again every other month. They smell great. How long can I leave it n the tin or can before I must jar it? I'd prefer to just leave it in the tin. Is that bad after a year or 2?