What Aromatics are good for a new pipe smoker?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Rossi Pipes
3 Fresh Jared Coles Pipes
New Cigars
48 Fresh Peterson Pipes
60 Fresh Savinelli Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

hessenland

Might Stick Around
Jan 31, 2011
Moscow, ID
I'm going out on a limb here, but I believe MacBaren's Cube to be the best aromatic I've had. It has an amazing flavor of chocolate/rum/fruit and tastes even better all the way down the bowl. Furthermore, the leaf quality is astounding.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Ted, while I read everything that you post, and I respect your vast knowledge, 1Q being the same as CBR just doesn't seem right to me. Sure there are similarities, but I'm not convinced. When I go through my Captain Black "periods" I will opt for White, and only smoke Royal for a richer/sweeter flavor. 1Q is my go to smoke, but I never have believed Royal to be the anything more than just similar to 1Q.

If it is true; could my perception of richer/sweeter be attributable to a higher PG content added for obvious reasons?

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
Lawrence, everything I've been told and have seen support this, however you smoke a lot more of both than I and I have never seen the facility (nor claim to possess the insight of those) that produce these blends. Having said that, I think at least the similarities between these two blends may be akin to those similarities between Dunhill's De Luxe Navy Rolls and A&C Petersen's Escudo.
And while I can't speak to the PG content between 1Q and CBR I think your observation is keenly astute if not entirely accurate.

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
If Pipes and Cigars dot com delivers to England, then you should try yourself some Trout Stream some time.

It actually tastes like it smells, which is delicious!

skylonrow

Might Stick Around
Feb 23, 2011
Great Britain
I had a look at pipesandcigars.com and there are some really nice blends that i would love to try!
The only issue is they are charging $40.55 for shipping to the UK, which I dont really want to pay (thats more than the tobacco itself!)

julesholling

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2011
Sutton, Surrey
That's a bit strong! Have a look at www.smokingpipes.com. I've ordered from them before and shipping to the UK was less than that. Also they shipped v quickly too, had the order within a week.
Only tip would be to keep the order below 200g as anything over that will incur customs charges.

juozapas

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2010
Barrie,Ontario,CANADA
Mac Baren Vanilla is awesome stuff. But it tends to "crumble" towards the end of the container/pouch.

What I mean is that the tobacco (over time) will break down to a finer "dust like", which is a little annoying, but it's a question of preference and it's no big deal. From what Mac Baren says, Vanilla is one of the hardest flavors to attain. But, they do an incredible job, and I love their products. They give a lot of attention and care to their tobaccos (which I truly appreciate).

My favorite from Mac Baren so far is "Plumcake-Navy Blend". It maintains its consistency right down to the last "pinch" of tobacco.

plumcakemacbarennavyblend50g001.jpg

plumcakemacbarennavyblend50g007.jpg

PA150006.jpg

PA150017.jpg

HAPPY SMOKING FOREVER AND EVER....AMEN :worship: :puffy: :clap:

skylonrow

Might Stick Around
Feb 23, 2011
Great Britain
By 'Vanilla is one of the hardest flavors to attain' do you mean, that it is a hard flavour to actually taste, or you have to smoke it for a long period of time to truly appreciate it?
And what is that little fabric bundle you have there?

oldjazzlover

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2011
I belive Tinder Box will deliver there for a reasonable price, and I have happened to fall in love with there Honey Maple Blend, it taste and smells great! I have gotten plenty of compliments on the roomnote. They have a blend called Wilshire and it's very close to CB and has a great roomnote as well! I know you said you weren't looking for a fruity taste but I have heard that their Mango Tango is pretty good to, I haven't tried it yet.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
According to a Lane rep a few years ago, 1Q is its own blend, not Captain Black Royal, always has been. They are remarkably similar given that they are from the same manufacturer but 1Q has less preservatives. Try them back to back, you will taste a difference.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
@mattia76

If Pipes and Cigars dot com delivers to England, then you should try yourself some Trout Stream some time.

It actually tastes like it smells, which is delicious!
I got an oz. of this in St. Louis last week, and it is excellent! It tastes wonderful, and when the ex came home the other night while I was smoking it with all the doors and windows closed just to piss her off, it totally backfired and she said she loved the way it smelled.
Nutty Irishman from C&D is a great one, and I also 2nd the recommendations for Mac Baren 7 Seas.

skylonrow

Might Stick Around
Feb 23, 2011
Great Britain
In the UK we have to have that on every single tobacco product by law. On the back there are usually pictures of people with cancer or one liners about the adverse effects of smoking.

julesholling

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2011
Sutton, Surrey
Hi Sktlonrow, how are you getting on with you baccy. Was thinking of ordering some of the Macbarens Vanilla and was wondering how you were finding it?

Status
Not open for further replies.