PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I say with a bigger pipe you need to pack lighter then with a smaller pipe. With my nosewarmer I cram the tobacco in and it smokes great with a perfect draw with my biggest pipes I pack with a much lighter touch and they still smoke for a really long time. And also some blends really really go great in a bigger pipe. Certain tobaccos are more reactive to a long smoke then others as in the flavor will evolve and deepen over a smoke. A really good example of this is G.L.Pease Key Largo. After a really long smoke of that the end of the smoke is just kind of perfect and sublimely beautiful.

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
Excluding some of the more exotic bowl shapes, I actually found larger pipes to be more forgiving/easier to learn proper packing on when I re-started with pipes. With small/mid sized chambers, starting out I could over-compress trying to get in what felt like 'enough' tobacco for a good sit n' smoke. With a larger pipe, I had more confidence to simply small-pinch fill and tap level with one top off. Maybe it filled the pipe up, maybe I stopped 3/4....but by nature of greater capacity it gave me more confidence playing with my pack. In terms of smoking....you shouldn't need any big change in approach. Light n' go.

I tend to stick with chambers around 2 inches to this day.......I can keep most all size pipes smoking cool, but just like to be able to sit and smoke for a while if I'm going to take the time to prep a pipe.

Reactions: PipesRock and B.Fee

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Sorry to be a contrarian but for me large (capacity) pipes exhaust my palate. I quite like the middle and bottom of a bowl as the flavors and aromas concentrate, but I have to put a large pipe down before I get there. I guess I'm not big on relighting a pipe either. Some blends allow that but others don't. I like to enjoy a bowl from false light to bottom in one go.

Status
Not open for further replies.