PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Recent Posts

mtwaller

Preferred Member
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
That's just an amazing ode to briar. At 501 grams, I don't think is a clencher. Radice is the only company that I've seen output a pipe with this particular grain configuration.
100% agree, it really is stunning to look at. For what it is, it’s honestly not priced THAT bad at just north of $1,000.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

hawky454

Preferred Member
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
This Viprati is by far my largest pipe. One bowl lasts me at least 3 hours! I need to take a picture of it next to another pipe to give you all an idear of how big this thing really is. It’s definitely deadly, if I ever catch a scumbag ripping a purse off a poor old lady, I’ll just chase after him with this... he’ll drop that purse in no time!

0B253AE3-05DF-4FA4-A38A-0133C4897F4F.jpeg
A7962A1C-A12B-4C6D-8D32-0237F57AB1F1.jpeg

hawky454

Preferred Member
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Sorry to be a contrarian but for me large (capacity) pipes exhaust my palate. I quite like the middle and bottom of a bowl as the flavors and aromas concentrate, but I have to put a large pipe down before I get there. I guess I'm not big on relighting a pipe either. Some blends allow that but others don't. I like to enjoy a bowl from false light to bottom in one go.
I’m the same to be honest. I love the Viprati I have but I don’t smoke it that often, it feels like quite a commitment and I’m not big on the whole DGT thing. One bowl in that pipes ends up lasting me a week. I just set it down until I can puff on it some more. From time to time it is nice to sit down with if I know I’m gonna have a lot of time on my hands though.

Reactions: edger and jpmcwjr

sumusfumus

Jul 20, 2017
New York City
I'd post some photos....but I don't know how.

It's a custom-made (briar) slightly tilted, rusticated, magnum Dublin with a heel. (It looks like an old, vintage Charatan shape). Tobacco chamber: 2-1/4" deep by 1" diameter, across the top. Bowl width at top: 2-7/8" diameter. OAL: 9-1/2" (25 cm) 3" X 7/8" shank (70mm X 23mm) )...saddle stem: 4-3/4" (118mm).

Absolutely, the best pipe I own, and a joy to smoke. Worth every cent I paid for it, 35 years ago. It's better today than when I first smoked it. The unfinished briar has now taken on the most beautiful, deep, Cordovan brown patina. The finger-rubbed bowl feels like silk, after rubbing the bowl over the last 35 years, with a homemade pipe-balm concoction that I make from pure bee's wax that's melted into some olive oil.

The pipe is long, and heavy. I get stares. I don't care. I love it and that's what counts. I can load it for a nice long, slow smoke, or shove just enough tobacco down the hole for a quickie. It's at it's sweet best during Autumn, when the chill is in the air and the leaves are painted by God in heaven. Ahhhh.....sweet solitude, balmy Autumn breezes, and a perfect pipe loaded with perfect tobacco. What more can a man ask for?

Reactions: edger and B.Fee

cosmicfolklore

Preferred Member
Aug 9, 2013
Helena, Alabama
I love big pipes, especially bib bowls. This one I commissioned from our forum's very own Dan Chlebove. I asked for a bulldog with a massive +1" sized bowl. It dwarves my other straight bulldogs. I like to smoke my strongest blends in it mostly.
bigpipe.jpg

This is a Hilson Giant... Coming in at 7" long, it is another monsterdog. I have a few more, but I need to get good pics of them.
HilsonGiant.jpg

cigrmaster

Preferred Member
May 26, 2012
United States
I smoke my 2013 Capstan Gold Ready Rubbed in both of my big pipes. Stuffing them with 3 or more flakes would make the smoke a bit too long.

anantaandroscoggin

Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
I've found that with my Wellington Giant, I have to do the packing of the very top of the bowl's load with more pressure than I do with any other pipe. When I don't do this, tamping down those first ashes after the charring light pushes the top of the tobacco load down about 1/2" into the bowl.

Reactions: jpmcwjr