PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
nice painting is great. I don't sell many but there is something indescribably great about even just physically going about the act of painting and there isn't quite anything like that semi rare moment when you go back and look at a painting a month latter and can't believe you actually pulled off making it. :)
Post a few pics!

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Hobbies.. Other than breathing, stopped everything. Keep trying to start something new but don't know what it is, I can't get anything started. Want to start on a simple musical instrument. Probably tin whistle. Want to get back to cycling. Figs are going, but that's more of go and pick 'em off the tree, come spring when breba crop starts. Just smoking pipes. Need to start moving.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Guess I'm just a natural born collector of useless trivia. Another thing I collect are German made table radios from the 50's and 60's. I like the large ones with the "horse teeth" selector buttons. The problem with them is that because of their size they can be difficult to display. And, because of that I keep the collection down to about 25. If a new one is added then an old one is sold off. puffy

The one in the pic below is a Saba and I have an identical one in about mint condition. The interesting thing about this radio is that one of these was in the Oval Office during the Cuban missile crisis and JFK used it to keep up with the news.

4808395.jpg

Pijproker

Lurker
Dec 2, 2021
Arnhem, the Netherlands
My hobbies are:
- gardening : I have got a vegetable garden one kilometer from my home. Especially in summer I spend a lot of time there
- Eurovision: I collect everything from the Eurovision Songcontest ( annual contest, almost each European country sends a song, tv show and the big voting, last year Ukraine won with a very good song, four years ago my country won with the song Arcade). In the past I visited each contest across Europe
- Reading books
- Sport: I sport a lot, bootcamp with friends, running etc

Zack Miller

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Fort Worth, Texas
I've lived long enough to see Tiki come and go... and then, to my utter surprise, revive.

Of course, to the uninitiated, the whole tiki thing must seem confusing. But to anyone with a romantic bone about them, they get it.

It's a love and for and a curiosity for what might lie over the hill; not what actually does. It is the joy found in finding a small corner of something unspoiled tucked away from the hustle and noise of everything else.

Of course it doesn't exist and yes, it might seem offensive to anyone unhappy about upsetting the cattle, but it is primordial and runs deep.

I am fortunate enough to have three great Tiki bars near me - The Reef , which harkens back to the 50s and has been reinvigorated and become central to the Tiki Movement in SoCal; The Tonga Hut, which is just a wonderful backdrop in and of itself and overlooks downtown Palm Springs, and The Bootlegger, a bar where bartenders go to get quality drinks and set in the quiet and dark while being watched by vintage velvet paintings and knowing that they are at Don the Beachcombers back bar at his old restaurant in Palm Springs. There is of course Toucans, but that is a whole different category.

When I have time, I venture down to San Diego and enjoy The Bali Hai - on Shelter Island overlooking San Diego Bay across from Coronado Island. If I have time I take a hike to False Idol, but it is generally too busy to really enjoy.

What is it you find enjoyable about this thing of ours?
The first time I ate at Bali Hai, the food was like canned Chun King Chinese food. The location was phenomenal however. Several years later, the children of the original owner took over and totally upgraded the menu. It was pretty good the last few times I ate there.

Reactions: telescopes

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
The first time I ate at Bali Hai, the food was like canned Chun King Chinese food. The location was phenomenal however. Several years later, the children of the original owner took over and totally upgraded the menu. It was pretty good the last few times I ate there.
All very true... but we lost Chicken of the Gods, a true tragic train wreck for tikiphiles. That said, their drinks still rock and they have the absolutely worse Mai Tai in the world - and that makes it world famous. I love them. Pure Jet fuel that will burn your eye brows off before you take the first sip.

Reactions: Zack Miller

Zack Miller

Dec 13, 2020
Fort Worth, Texas
All very true... but we lost Chicken of the Gods, a true tragic train wreck for tikiphiles. That said, their drinks still rock and they have the absolutely worse Mai Tai in the world - and that makes it world famous. I love them. Pure Jet fuel that will burn your eye brows off before you take the first sip.
Isn’t it the Mai Tai where they have the two drink limit?

1674581600658.jpeg

Zack Miller

Dec 13, 2020
Fort Worth, Texas
Yes indeed. They are definitely a dangerous drink for dangerous men and women. I think it is time I take a motorcycle ride down to San Diego.
I had two. The good news was I had no hangover. The bad news was I had no recollection of the night before.

BTW, if you are into the Tiki stuff, take your Roku and search for Adventures in Paradise. There is actually a streaming channel with most of the episodes.
E0F22BA6-DE96-4B26-9129-791D04DCA429.jpeg

Reactions: Hunter1

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I had two. The good news was I had no hangover. The bad news was I had no recollection of the night before.

BTW, if you are into the Tiki stuff, take your Roku and search for Adventures in Paradise. There is actually a streaming channel with most of the episodes.
View attachment 197031
I have been partying with Tiki since the early 1980s. By then, most of the great joints were already phasing out, but I got a taste, even in my hometown of Saint Louis. When I came to California, the tiki revival was just beginning. It was a joy to watch it come back, and then, it fizzled a bit, and now, it is back stronger than ever. I've been near to a 100 tiki joints and had the pleasure of meeting and drinking with most of icons of modern tiki. Thx for the tip.

Hunter1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2022
MD

View attachment 197031
That was a really cool show. I watched it as a kid. Also Rout 66.