What Are Your Favorite Pipes To Collect?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Ismet Bekler's abstract meerschaums, early ornate corncob pipes and Kirsten pipes are my favorites. Kirstens are, in my opinion, wonderful smokers. About the only specific pipes I'm still after fit these categories: a Kirsten cigarette holder, a Kirsten pipe in the "Western satin" coppery finish (the first Kirsten to get a finish letter, "X," added to the model letter), and one of the corncob cigar holders.

The only thing I'm still hoping to find that's not in these preferred categories is a Camineoo from the Ascorti-Radice era in shape 115, finish New Dear. I bought one on my one and only trip to Hawaii, and it just vanished off my shelf, I never found it and no visitor I had during that time is a thief. It was just gone.

Jmango

Lurker
Jun 28, 2022
I started with Canadians, went down the latest fad roads but always come back to the Canadian shape. Something about it is appealing to me. I suppose when you are really into something you will try them all but will always return to your roots.
Funny, I have been on a Canadian tear of late. I absolutely love the shape as well and the wide, oval stem shape. Even started collecting short Canadians as well...

Two Pipes Crossing

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2023
Austin Texas
I
I started with Canadians, went down the latest fad roads but always come back to the Canadian shape. Something about it is appealing to me. I suppose when you are really into something you will try them all but will always return to your roots.
I’ve got a 2 Bari Canadians, one small one large, a Bari Lovat, and a Bari Liverpool.

*Edit, all good smokers.

I also have a Theydon Liverpool (GBD offshoot), it’s small and I use that for Captain Earle’s blends, in which that pipe does those blends far beyond justice.

Papamique

Mar 11, 2020
I am not a collector but the ones I enjoy smoking the most are Charatan, Ashton, and Amorelli. They taste amazing and Salvatore Amorelli is just an amazing artist and man.

Reactions: Two Pipes Crossing

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I am not a collector but the ones I enjoy smoking the most are Charatan, Ashton, and Amorelli. They taste amazing and Salvatore Amorelli is just an amazing artist and man.
I can taste the difference in tobaccos but I can’t say I can taste the difference between pipes made from similar materials

I can taste the difference if smoking a new clay or cob.

But Algerian vs Calabrian briar ?
🤔
Nope

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I'm not a collector but I tend to acquire bents. My first pipe was a Peterson Aran 68 Irish Army. Small pocketable and below eye level so smoke wouldn't drift in my eyes. Next was a Savinelli 2614 KS Dry System --- same shape and still one of my favorites after 40 years. The rest are different bent shapes but I learned to appreciate a good smoking pipe over the name, shape, style and grain. Coincidentally my favorite smokers also happen to be the pipes that cost me the least money. It just worked out that way once I knew what I wanted in a smoker.
To try and answer the original question --- large thick bowl bent billiards or hungarians, bent egg. I admire other shapes but never got the "hang" of a straighter stems. It always surprises me as to what pipes smoke really well. I'm still learning and adjusting. I have found that, for me, names, grain and finish really don't matter in a well made pipe. Just my 2 cents. Your mileage will vary ...

One thing I prefer is a pipe wherein the smoke at the bottom of the bowl is as good as the top of the bowl and I do have a few that do that ...

Reactions: Two Pipes Crossing

drrock

Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
My Grandfather helped me to start smoking a pipe. The last pipe he owned & smoked was a WDC Wellington that I still have. About 20 years ago I started collecting WDC pipes & even though I've thinned the herd via eBay the last few years I still have a significant number of WDC pipes.

I'm also partial to pipes from Comoy & Sasieni & their sub-brands.

Reactions: yanoJL
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Howell, Rubio, Alden and Cermak are my go to Briars. Altinok and Altinay made the Meers I smoke almost every day. Obtaining a couple of Meers I really like framed my PAD completely. The 2 I have smoke great and I see no reason to buy more and dilute the coloring process by smoking the 2 I have less. And I see no reason to buy more Briars when I don't smoke the nice collection I have a much as I should.

If I spy something I really love, Meer or Briar, I may get it. But it would have to really catch my eye. I'm more of a smoker than a collector.

Papamique

Mar 11, 2020
I can taste the difference in tobaccos but I can’t say I can taste the difference between pipes made from similar materials

I can taste the difference if smoking a new clay or cob.

But Algerian vs Calabrian briar ?
🤔
Nope
Who said anything about different briar? After hundreds of pipes from various makers I know when a pipe tastes great to me and one that tastes like shit. (Of course I’m talking new not estate or used pipes) To me it doesn’t matter why. If it is briar, curing, stem materials, drilling etc. Some pipe makers consistently deliver a great tasting pipe for me and others consistently deliver a pipe that tastes bitter, tannin and like shit. I choose not to spend my money on these pipes. Why would I? No, I will spend my money on what I like instead.

Last edited: