What Are Your Favorite Pipes To Collect?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Who said anything about different briar? After hundreds of pipes from various makers I know when a pipe tastes great to me and one that tastes like shit. (Of course I’m talking new not estate or used pipes) To me it doesn’t matter why. If it is briar, curing, stem materials, drilling etc. Some pipe makers consistently deliver a great tasting pipe for me and others consistently deliver a pipe that tastes bitter, tannin and like shit. I choose not to spend my money on these pipes. Why would I? No, I will spend my money on what I like instead.
OK
I misunderstood
I can see how some briar would taste green, sappy and full of tannins if improperly aged.
Much like oak staves used for wine barrels.

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
OK
I misunderstood
I can see how some briar would taste green, sappy and full of tannins if improperly aged.
Much like oak staves used for wine barrels.
You bring up a good point. Maybe it is the curing processes or lack there of. Maybe it is taste receptors or lack there of (after all the booze, snuff, cigarettes and cigars one person consumes in one day it is amazing they can taste anything). Or maybe genetics:

“In 1931, a chemist named Arthur Fox was pouring some powdered PTC into a bottle. When some of the powder accidentally blew into the air, a colleague standing nearby complained that the dust tasted bitter. Fox tasted nothing at all. Curious how they could be tasting the chemical differently, they tasted it again. The results were the same. Fox had his friends and family try the chemical then describe how it tasted. Some people tasted nothing. Some found it intensely bitter, and still others thought it tasted only slightly bitter.” -https://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/basics/ptc

Or maybe someone has an altered sense of smell which could affect taste.

This is off topic so maybe a good topic for another thread. The point I am trying to highlight is that taste is highly subjective. I don’t know why these make of pipes deliver a great tasting pipe to me time and time again. I just know they do. At least for me.

Back on topic: To me, style of pipe and comfort, is secondary to how it tastes.so I buy brands that taste good to me such as Charatan, Amorelli and Ashton. There are others like Sasieni and Dunhill but they fell out of favor with me for one reason or another. Great pipes just not my cup o tea anymore.

Out of 8+ Castello pipes they all tasted just OK to me. Others absolutely love them. Subjective. I have one left but not for long. It is on the selling block.

Last edited:
Reactions: Two Pipes Crossing

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
It is interesting to read Rich Essermans submission to The Pipe Collector NASPC newsletter (everyone of us is a member, right? Best $10 I spend every year). He has been collecting for over 50 years. He's acquired several collections and sold them over that lifetime, now settling on Magnum pipes.

After a year or so of collecting, I noticed the most of what I was fascinated by were the old British marque's, so I collect:

GBD
Sasieni
Comoy's
Ashton
Peterson
Minor players:
Dunhill (2)

With a shape focus on:
Rhodesian
Bent Billiard (smaller)
Bulldog

I keep my collection photos here: