PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2018
England
Scloyd...watched the original "Whisky Galore" a few years back.

It is, indeed, a gem of a movie.

If you liked that then you'll probably enjoy other Ealing comedies (named after the British studio that made them).
There are loads and loads but the best ones (in my opinion) are:

The Ladykillers (not the Tom Hanks remake though)
The Lavender Hill Mob
Kind Hearts and Coronets
Passport to Pimlico
The Man in the White Suit

They're all in a similar style to Whisky Galore! ie genteel British comedies from the 1950's and as well as the ones I mentioned there are many more.
Alec Guinness is in quite a few of them as well as others you'd recognise like a Pre-Holywood Peter Cellers.
Anyway they're classics of British cinema and are well worth a shufti.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
Chris…"The Ladykillers" is one of my all time favorites, as is "the Lavender Hill Mob".

Superb casting in all of those you've mentioned. Especially, Sellers and Lom long before "The Pink Panther" days.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Yes The Ladykillers is a brilliant film! All those dastardly villains trying to kill the poor little old lady Miss 'lop-sided' :LOL:.
Kind Hearts and Coronets is also great with an amazing performance from Alec Guinness playing all the different members of the aristocratic D'ascoyne family.
Absolute classics.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Just finished Hitchcock (2012) starring Anthony Hopkins and Helen Mirren. I give it a 3.

The relationship between Alfred Hitchcock and his wife Alma Reville during the filming of Psycho (1960) in 1959 is explored.

Best line in the movie-
Anthony Perkins: "I just want to thank you again Mr. Hitchcock for giving me this opportunity."
Hitchcock: "Call me Hitch, hold the cock."

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Low brow entertainment, Live PD. Addicted, wife and I love it. Respect for the insane adult babysitting law enforcement has to do. It’s fun to see just how crazy some people are. Also sad to see the reality of opioid and mental health problems.

Reactions: litup
Jun 9, 2018
England
Just finished watching (for free on YouTube) Lucio Fulci's Zombie 2 aka Zombie Flesh Eaters.
I hadn't viewed it since the first time I saw it on video, as a kid back in the 1980's.
I'd definitely give it a 4 out of 5 and I'm sure you'll like it if you are into horror/zombie films.
Be warned though it is a tad gory so maybe avoid if that sort of thing upsets you.

Reactions: python and jpmcwjr

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
Watched the first episode of "Anne with an E" last night. It has an excellent cast, is well-shot and written. Like most of these things nowadays, it would make for a great 1--4 episode deal but, I don't think I can handle 3 seasons of it.

Swmbos will love it.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Saturday Night Live. Last night's ep featuring Halsey, the most beautiful singer I've ever seen. Her, 5/5, rest of show, 3/5. The episode 20 from Season 1. Good to see Belushi, Akroyd, Murray, Curtin, Newman, Morris, etc. 4/5.

Last edited:
Reactions: rushx9

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
Watching the final 2 hours or so of the 24 Hours of Daytona. Always a 5/5 for me. Gets me excited up for the upcoming IndyCar and F1 seasons.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Yes The Ladykillers is a brilliant film! All those dastardly villains trying to kill the poor little old lady Miss 'lop-sided' :LOL:.
Kind Hearts and Coronets is also great with an amazing performance from Alec Guinness playing all the different members of the aristocratic D'ascoyne family.
Absolute classics.
Just finished The Ladykillers. I'll give it a 4. I really enjoyed this film. Hmm...which Ealing film to watch next. ?

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
Apocalypse: The Second World War has been running on The Smithsonian Channel. I've seen it before and am rewatching or listening to it in the background. It's one of the better multi-part documentaries about WWII. 4/5

Status
Not open for further replies.