PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I see the difference between a critic and a viewer. I don't disagree with you but I found The Lincoln Lawyer very entertaining which is the primary reason I watch TV. With that said, watching two monkeys screw a football might be entertainment for some but would never achieve critical acclaim. Just proves again, perspective is everything.
It's the curse of working in the business. You notice things that the casual viewer either doesn't notice or doesn't care about. I did find the series entertaining, but not compelling like I do other entertainments.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Star Trek Strange New Worlds: Pre-Captain Kirk, this serial is closer to the original Roddenberry TV series in how it feels, and in the plots. No dependence on special effects although they are there. Captain Pike is likable and the Chief Engineer grows on you. Spock is not the cold, logical Spock I remember... too human. Worth a watch on a Friday night with a good pipe. 4/5.

Mar 1, 2014
I watched Gurren Lagann a few weeks ago, an Anime that appears light hearted and heavy on "fan service" for the first few episodes, but if you have a hero complex the last 2/3 of that show is existentially horrifying.
The themes are not overly complex and it's still a goofy show to the end, but it has some prickly poignant turns.
(There's also a four hour compressed "Movie" version for people more casually interested.)

I rate it "Fear and Anxiety" out of "Yesterday I thought I Wanted To Save Humanity".

Last edited:

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Was surprisingly pleased with Obi-Wan Kenobi which launched on Friday.

For a 48 year old the show was one giant Easter Egg. I found the pacing good, the new characters enjoyable, and the lack of faith in the Jedi refreshing.

The actors who return pick up their characters like a warm glove. The effects certainly animate the show, but do so without dominating.

Leia is a delight.

Definitely worth watching with a bowl full of VaPer and an open bottle of wine.

4.379/5

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Stranger Things season 4, I’d give 4/5. It’s well made, at times super creepy, at other times the story and acting weakens. Objectively it should be 3/5 for me, but upping the score because it kept us both awake, unlike many others.
There are a couple of scenes where all 80s style cliches were pilled onto every single actor.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and scloyd

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
I watched My Agent the original French series with subtitles it got to Nos 1 on Uk netflix 5/5 which amazed me.Great acting it's about Film agents and their clients set in Paris both clever and very amusing.Sigourne Weaver did a great cameo in perfect french in one episode.

Iam now watching Amazons copy of the same series set in London after three episodes I give it 1/5 Whoever did the casting got it really wrong.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
On Britbox there's four Victorian era crime/drama movies, The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher. I've only watched one so far, The Murder at Roadhill House . I rate it 4/5. I hope the remaining three are as good as the first one that I've watched.
View attachment 146855View attachment 146856
View attachment 146859View attachment 146858
We watched our third Mr. Whicher movie last night, The Murder on Angel Lane. There's a few scenes that take place in a pub and everyone is smoking clay pipes. I'm really enjoying these Mr Whicher movies.
My ratings:
The Murder at Roadhouse Hill 4/5
Beyond the Pale 3/5
The Murder on Angel Road 4/5

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
Star Trek Strange New Worlds - 3.5/5 (season ongoing)

Star Wars Kenobi - 3/5 (being generous here, season ongoing)

Stranger Things 4 - 5/5

BBC Prehistoric Planet - 5/5

Jun 9, 2018
England
Just binge watched the entire series of Pistol on Disney+

I was really looking forward to this as a biopic on the Sex Pistols with Danny Boyle involved sounded epic. I read the reviews before I watched, some said it was good some said it was rubbish. I fall into the latter camp as I didn't really like it. There were some high spots and some of the dialogue was spot on but overall I didn't enjoy it. The soundtrack is epic tho. Everything from Bowie to T-Rex to Pink Floyd.

2/5

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
After making a casual comment on the thread 'RIP Ray Liotta', Chris aka smudgersmissingleg was astonished that I'd never seen the film Goodfellas, following comments from other members seemed to suggest I was the only person on the planet who had not seen this supposedly top notch mafia tale (I always assumed Goodfellas was a pizza company).

A DVD purchase was made via Amazon and I watched it last night. Way, way better than the Sopranos in my book (I had to stop watching that after disc 4 or 5 through boredom), this actually had a story you could follow and what a story it was though I don't understand why the black guy got shot.

Based on a true story, it's the tale of the rise and fall of a mafia guy who turned supergrass to save his own tail......but you all know that already don't you ;)

My rating system gives it 8/10 or 3.5/5 in the US system......well worth the £2:46 it cost to buy so thanks Chris for the prompt.....and no, it won't be shoved up your nostril :LOL:

41DRJS2V51L._AC_.jpg

Also, having now watched it I recognise Ray Liotta from something else I've seen but can't put my finger on, also the lady who plays his wife Carrie, I recognise her too.

Regards,

Jay.

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
Taste in programs sure have evolved, most of early programs are so dumb I can’t believe at one time they seemed great entertainment. If I had a young child I would closely monitor watching present monster movies even produced by Disney. 5 rating would now go to series like Boston Legal any many Brit. who done it mysteries.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Jay,

In response to "Also, having now watched it I recognise Ray Liotta from something else I've seen but can't put my finger on, also the lady who plays his wife Carrie, I recognise her too." IMDB.com will put those very questions to rest.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Status
Not open for further replies.