PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
When I was elected to membership I thought I'd share the news with my parents, and as I was going to their home to run some errands for them, I decided to wait until I got there to tell them.

So I arrived and after a few minutes I said, "I've got some news! I've just been elected to the Academy."

Well, they were very excited and my mother says to me, "That's WONDERFUL!! Congratulations! Now you can vote for the Oscars!"

And I replied, "No I get to vote for the EMMYs, it's the television academy."

Then the two of them look at each other and Pop says, "Oh..."

At which point he heads off into the den to watch a game, Mom hands me a list of things she needs me to pick up for them, and heads to the kitchen sink to finish peeling an onion.

The End.

sic transit gloria mundi

I would have loved to have had my work nominated, at least with my name attached to it, but that hasn't happened. Warner Animation decided to sponsor me for membership and asked me if I was interested. I said sure, and they collected the necessary signatures and endorsements and I passed the vetting process and am a member. So it's cool that my peers liked my work enough to nominate me.

Other than that, it's paying dues and participating in the Academy's public programming, like serving on its committee for awarding internships, etc.

And I think we get a 5% discount at Kohl's?
But what about Total Wine??!!

Reactions: sablebrush52

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
The Flight Attendant. I liked the first season (3-5), but struggled through the 1st episode of the second season, and couldn’t make it through the 2nd episode… (1-5).

422C8231-BDFE-4E39-AD00-AF5EB59843B6.jpeg

Reactions: scloyd

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
Love, Death and Robots.
If you enjoy or are interested in what modern animators are up to, check out this anthology of shorts.
It’s sometimes mind blowing.
Love, Death & Robots (TV Series 2019– ) - IMDb - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9561862/

View attachment 146764
Kinda reminds me of a modern version of the anime classic robot carnival based on the description.
I will have to check it out.

Reactions: Akousticplyr

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
Today I watched sonic the hedgehodge it’s ok for a video game movie. I felt entertained and Jim Carrey was funny. 3/5 stars.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I’m working my way through 1883 at an episode or two per week during TV time with my wife.

The acting has been wonderful so far, with Isabel May stealing the show by delivering wonderful moments. Sam Elliott is always good, but Tim McGraw is showing us that the future of the Western is in good hands.

I find the writing and direction at times to be a bit heavy handed in the use of lightning fast events to advance the plot after episodes of plodding.

The cinematography is wonderful, great camera work and beautiful landscapes make the show easy on the eyes.

4.25/5

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
On Britbox there's four Victorian era crime/drama movies, The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher. I've only watched one so far, The Murder at Roadhill House . I rate it 4/5. I hope the remaining three are as good as the first one that I've watched.
1653220408839.png1653220469086.png
1653220758286.png1653220543982.png

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Reactions: Akousticplyr

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Binging a bit on "Inspector Morse." Great stuff, 5 of 5 in my estimation.
I just bought the entire series to watch ... first disk is damaged though ... takes 5-7 tries before player will read disk; rest may be ok. Excellent series. I also bought Poirot series; and Columbo for laughs. I agree 5/5. Enjoy !

Just binged up some Gaslit on Starz last night. It took me forever to realize that Sean Penn was playing John Mitchell. He did a great job, and kept a pipe going through most of it, with very accurate smoking style, and cleaning routine. The only part of the pipe smoking that confused me was Mitchell trying to figure out which stem went with his pipe as he was trying out each one. He didn't explain why he had so many extra stems.

I am not a fan of that era of politics (or any era for that matter) but the show is well done and kept me interested. I am only five deep into the season and waiting for the next episode to drop. 4.5/5. the lower than 5 stars is because it was very good, but without the great acting, character development, and writing, I wouldn't ever watch a show about Watergate... or anything political.

1653399081391.png

Reactions: autumnfog

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I just bought the entire series to watch ... first disk is damaged though ... takes 5-7 tries before player will read disk; rest may be ok. Excellent series. I also bought Poirot series; and Columbo for laughs. I agree 5/5. Enjoy !
Where do you live? Are you not able to get decent internet speeds?

For me, streaming and downloading videos is so much easier, and the PQ is higher. But if you want to have a library, disks are a good way to go.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Where do you live? Are you not able to get decent internet speeds?

For me, streaming and downloading videos is so much easier, and the PQ is higher. But if you want to have a library, disks are a good way to go.
I never switched over to cable when regular T.V. died ! We're the only ones in neighborhood without a cable hook up. We've never missed it. We read books mainly. Given the quality of current programming and the cost I do not believe I am missing anything. The disk I referred to is damaged. I only watch murder mysteries once or twice a weak for mindless entertainment and the scenery. We do have the ability to download and stream if we wanted ... we're not complete luddites ! Just not addicted.
P.S. They just installed 5G wiring along my street ... Its transmission is so powerful it screws up AM radio in the whole neighborhood ... I have to drive 1/4 mile away to get basic radio ! I don't see how this improves anything.

Reactions: Egg Shen
Status
Not open for further replies.