PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Another recommendation from my neighbour, 'Hacksaw Ridge' was my DVD entertainment last night.

I'd never heard of it but by all accounts the film was/is extremely popular.

Some great acting, not least by the lead character who plays Virginian lumber worker Desmond Doss, the conscientious objector who (in real life) was awarded the Medal Of Honour' for his incredible efforts in saving his injured comrades.

Some scenes were a little far fetched, stretching the imagination in places but overall a great film.

I'll give it a strong 4/5 which means this is a keeper to watch again.

hacksaw.jpg

Regards,

Jay.

jwesthurl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 27, 2022
St. Louis
Another recommendation from my neighbour, 'Hacksaw Ridge' was my DVD entertainment last night.

I'd never heard of it but by all accounts the film was/is extremely popular.

Some great acting, not least by the lead character who plays Virginian lumber worker Desmond Doss, the conscientious objector who (in real life) was awarded the Medal Of Honour' for his incredible efforts in saving his injured comrades.

Some scenes were a little far fetched, stretching the imagination in places but overall a great film.

I'll give it a strong 4/5 which means this is a keeper to watch again.

View attachment 173684

Regards,

Jay.
You should watch the documentary! I believe it’s available on YouTube.

jwesthurl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 27, 2022
St. Louis
Rewatching Ted Lasso on Apple+. Easily the best comedy out right now in my opinion. 5/5

Reservation Dogs on Hulu about a group of young friends trying to escape the rez after the death of their friend. Really funny and poignant at times. 5/5

The Bear on Hulu is about a famed chef that returns home to run his family’s sandwich shop after his brother’s death. They did a good job with the cooking scenes and kitchen atmosphere and there’s a little mystery developing throughout the season. Again I give it a 5/5.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Rewatching Ted Lasso on Apple+. Easily the best comedy out right now in my opinion. 5/5

Reservation Dogs on Hulu about a group of young friends trying to escape the rez after the death of their friend. Really funny and poignant at times. 5/5

The Bear on Hulu is about a famed chef that returns home to run his family’s sandwich shop after his brother’s death. They did a good job with the cooking scenes and kitchen atmosphere and there’s a little mystery developing throughout the season. Again I give it a 5/5.
Yep, The Bear is very good. Jeremy Allen White (Lip on Shameless) is excellent as Chef Carmen (Carmy). I also enjoyed Oliver Platt's character, Jimmy Cicero.

Jun 9, 2018
England
The Pawnbroker

Somebody has uploaded it to YouTube and I'll leave the link underneath. It has Spanish subtitles but I personally didn't find it distracting and seeing as it's free you can't really complain.
I've seen it a few times before but it's one of those movies I can watch more than once. Directed by the great Sidney Lumet with a brilliant performance from Rod Steiger👌.

5/5

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
Trying to watch the Patient with Steve Carrell on Hulu, but 30 minutes a week, just to show us 5 minutes of new material is exhausting. I think that Steve is doing some great acting, and the writing is really good, but it's just that the editing gives you nothing each week, but baby steps into the story. 2/5, not really worth the wait each week.
You took the words outta my mouth. Each episode is a big nothing burger. Concurring with 2/5.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The Pawnbroker

Somebody has uploaded it to YouTube and I'll leave the link underneath. It has Spanish subtitles but I personally didn't find it distracting and seeing as it's free you can't really complain.
I've seen it a few times before but it's one of those movies I can watch more than once. Directed by the great Sidney Lumet with a brilliant performance from Rod Steiger👌.

5/5

I had saved that on DVR from TCM and just started watching it (they gave it a great introduction). It's pretty depressing, but visually, a great look at NYC/Spanish Harlem from that era. Agree on Lumet and Steigers performance!

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Watched 6 out of 7 episodes of The Watcher in a row with my wife. I can’t remember the last time we were up so late. Starts deliciously creepy but somewhere along the line the story becomes at once convoluted and seemingly simplistic, usually this hints at a crappy ending, let’s see tomorrow.

Reactions: hawky454

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
Watched 6 out of 7 episodes of The Watcher in a row with my wife. I can’t remember the last time we were up so late. Starts deliciously creepy but somewhere along the line the story becomes at once convoluted and seemingly simplistic, usually this hints at a crappy ending, let’s see tomorrow.
Literally just finished watching it with my wife.

Reactions: karam
Status
Not open for further replies.