PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2018
England
There's a free streaming service in the UK (it's owned by Amazon) called Freevee and I've been watching all the 1970's episodes of Columbo. I've seen them all many times before but I really love the show and can re-watch them every couple of years.

I love Peter Falk's portrayal of Columbo. His absent minded ways lead the suspect into a false sense of security but underneath that dishevelled appearance Columbo is razor sharp.

The list of guest stars is pretty stellar, as well.
Robert Culp, Roddy McDowall, John Cassavetes, Vincent Price, Leonard Nimoy, Martin Landau, Jackie Cooper, Donald Pleasence, Johnny Cash, Dick Van Dyke and Patrick Mcgoohan are just some of the great actors who appeared on the show.

The first episode was written by Stephen Bochco (of Hill Street Blues and NYPD Blue, fame) and directed by a very young Stephen Spielberg. The show really did have quality running all the way through it

Falk, was of course, a big cigar smoker as well.

"oh, just one more thing" I give the 1970's Columbos 5/5

RonB

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2021
Southeast Pennsylvania
The fourth season of Fauda is coming out on Netflix as of January 20th, I believe. It made me want to rewatch the earlier seasons since it has been a few years. It's about a special forces team of Israeli's who battle terrorists, but it is nuanced and not all once sided. It really got my heart pounding as I watched the first episode. 5/5

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Currently binging on His Dark Materials, based on the books by Philip Pullman. In some ways it is very reminiscent of a dozen other fantasy worlds, but some differences keep it interesting. I'm enjoying the series very much, even with the repeating sense of deja vu. Beautifully presented. 4 out of 5.
I really enjoyed the books, but this series was a little weird for me. I am not one to want a movie or series to stick with a book 100%, but to just make a whole new idea from the books was a little too much for me. I did try to get into it, but after the first season, I just gave up.

Speaking of books and movies, I loved the book, A Man Called Ove. So when I saw that this was now a movie, I told my wife that she had to stop watching 30 Day Fiancé and check this out with me. 30 seconds in, and she is like bawking at it having to be watched with subtitles, because it is in Swedish. I told her to hold on, give it a chance. it is such a good story, and they did stay true to the book. An old man, has a terrible time trying to die, and at each attempt learns of more reasons to stay alive. It's soooo good. Even with subtitles and dark humor... I think that it is perfect for old guys like us on this forum. 5/5 Netflix. Worth reading, you will forget that you are reading subtitles... I promise you.

1673446655269.png

Silvrbdgr

Might Stick Around
Jan 1, 2023
Navarre, FL
Currently the wife and I are watching Yellowstone (Amazon Prime), 1923 and Tulsa King (both on Paramount Plus). Season 2 of Your Honor begins tonight on Showtime, so we'll be engaged with that. Waiting on season 3 of Ted Lasso on Apple.

Zack Miller

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Fort Worth, Texas
There's a free streaming service in the UK (it's owned by Amazon) called Freevee and I've been watching all the 1970's episodes of Columbo. I've seen them all many times before but I really love the show and can re-watch them every couple of years.

I love Peter Falk's portrayal of Columbo. His absent minded ways lead the suspect into a false sense of security but underneath that dishevelled appearance Columbo is razor sharp.

The list of guest stars is pretty stellar, as well.
Robert Culp, Roddy McDowall, John Cassavetes, Vincent Price, Leonard Nimoy, Martin Landau, Jackie Cooper, Donald Pleasence, Johnny Cash, Dick Van Dyke and Patrick Mcgoohan are just some of the great actors who appeared on the show.

The first episode was written by Stephen Bochco (of Hill Street Blues and NYPD Blue, fame) and directed by a very young Stephen Spielberg. The show really did have quality running all the way through it

Falk, was of course, a big cigar smoker as well.

"oh, just one more thing" I give the 1970's Columbos 5/5
We have freevee here also. I’m also watching Columbo and agree with everything you have said. The ads are infrequent and short. After season seven, subsequent seasons are available on tubi. There are definitely classic movies and TV shows on some of these free streaming services.
I saw Dr. Zhivago on one of them and there was only one ad.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
Rogue Heroes. I stumbled upon this 6 part miniseries on Epix, which charts the creation and operation of a British Special Air Service Unit in Northern Africa during WWII. It’s based on a true story, and found it interesting. It appears that a 2nd season was approved, which is good as I felt that series left you hanging. Good soundtrack/music too. 4.5/5

E3583928-C3BE-4C2E-BA42-3D0460C517EC.jpeg

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Watched “The Pale Blue Eye” last night - pretty good, 3.85/5*

Tonight will be the second episode of season 3 of “All Creatures Great And Small” - series is an easy 5/5*

And after, “”Vienna Blood” which is growing on me - 4/5*

Oh, and just watched Iowa over Maryland - 100/5*

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
There's a couple of iterations of this series. I prefer the original. The second is decent though.
Yep, seen every episode of the original many times, love it. One of the things I like about the latest version is its not trying to copy the original, even though some of the story lines have varied a bit, which is okay.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Watched
Banshees of Inesherian

The Banshees of Inisherin is the story of two friends, but it is also a tale of an everyman who has to wrestle with the idea of being forgotten while continuing to dredge through life and grapple with innumerable absurdities that govern it.

5/5 this director's IMO finest to date
reuniting Collin Farrell and Brenden Gleeson from his earlier picture IN BRUGES which I saw years ago and thought was pretty good

Then because I loved Banshees so much I watched his second to last picture

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri is a 2017 crime drama film written, directed, and co-produced by Martin McDonagh and starring Frances McDormand as a Missouri woman who rents three roadside billboards to draw attention to her daughter's unsolved rape and murder.

4/5 Not as much my cup of tea, go in with a grain of salt but still, most films from me get 1-2 hardly ever a 3
this director is doing his own thing for sure...

Now I want to revisit IN BRUGES and keep going back through his filmography

If you like good movies that entertain and make you think these are good

Reactions: Zero and scloyd

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
TX
Monty Python's Flying Circus, 5/5⭐ I picked up the complete series on DVD this past Sunday to take a trip down memory lane. Humor at it's best, here's 'The Milkman' skit from series 1.
* Sketch

Jun 9, 2018
England
Just watched the Columbo episode "Mind Over Mayhem" from 1974 and pipe smoking helps columbo solve the crime.

*SPOILER ALERT!*

There's a pipe smoking professor who gets murdered and his pipe gets run over. Columbo proves that the pipe wasn't just dropped and broke by finding small pieces of tobacco on the cars tyres. He says they know the tobacco was the brand the professor smoked because he had it especially imported from England. Maybe it was Gawith?🤔🤷🏻‍♂️

The killer smokes cigars and Columbo works out that the killer must've smoked cigars because he finds a match burnt all the way to the bottom and it couldn't have been used by the murdered professor because he had a pipe lighter.

One more thing, Robby the Robot from the film Forbidden Planet plays a part in the story (don't ask) but it's particularly funny when they program the robot to walk Columbo's sorry looking dog.

Anyway, another great episode 5/5

• Love
Reactions: Zero
Status
Not open for further replies.