PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
"The Woman in the Window". Amy Adams, Gary Oldman, Julianne Moore.

In an homage to Hitchcock's "Rear Window", Ms. Adams portrays an agoraphobic who discovers some shady dealings with the neighbors across the street...The cast tries hard but, in the end, there is only one Hitchcock.

Kudos, however, for no "shakey-cam".

2.5/5.

Last edited:
Reactions: scloyd

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
“Sweet Tooth” on Netflix.
We are in 4 episodes of an 8 episode series set in a post-apocalyptic world ravaged by a combination of a deadly virus (whoa, can that happen?) while at the same time, babies begin to be born as animal/human hybrids.
Based on a DC comics series by Jeff Lemire, it centers around a hybrid boy, Gus, his adopted protector and the search for the boy’s mother. After a couple set-up episodes, the series builds an interesting world being reclaimed by nature and also has a couple interesting sub plots, the most compelling of which involves the struggle a kind hearted doctor struggling to retain his humanity in a heartless world. With a couple exceptions it generally has a light touch all around, manages to hold attention and to avoid (mostly) being to cutesy with the hybrid babies and children and not too gritty with the apocalyptic dystopian fight for survival.
Bonus points for the pipe smoking evil general of a human/hybrid hunting militia.
If a lighter touch fantasy/adventure is appealing to you give it a look.
4/5

Last edited:
Reactions: beefeater33

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
Mr. Inbetween. It’s Australian comedy-crime drama series on FX. It’s about a hitman who makes a life out of balancing his criminal activities with his obligations to friends and family. I just started watching the 3rd season, which is very good. 5/5 ?

E28AEAEC-43AE-498F-A1E2-3C55FC677B68.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: keith929

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Just finished the series "Call the Midwife"..........
1623378494512.png

I'd rate it 5/5.............. I guess I'm getting old. I like a show with no violence, no F-bombs, no drug use, all the shit I can see in real life........... I'm more of an escapism watcher I guess, but this series is good.............

Reactions: Bengel and scloyd

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Just finished the series "Call the Midwife"..........
View attachment 83931

I'd rate it 5/5.............. I guess I'm getting old. I like a show with no violence, no F-bombs, no drug use, all the shit I can see in real life........... I'm more of an escapism watcher I guess, but this series is good.............
My wife and I have watched the first 8 or 9 seasons. I enjoyed the earlier seasons more than the newer seasons. Overall I'd give 4/5.

Reactions: Bengel

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
War of the Worlds on Epix. I like sci-fi alien movies, and kinda liked the first season, but I’m struggling thru the second season. I might be bailing out on this series. Overall, maybe 2/5.

BB23126E-D63B-4DDD-B1AA-74CAD97FD68C.jpeg

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Jun 9, 2018
England

View attachment 84225

5/5...highly recommended
That's a brilliant movie and definitely a 5/5 in my book. I believe they did a Hollywood remake but I haven't seen that.

Reactions: Gus
Status
Not open for further replies.