PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Got given this plug earlier on in the year from my friend Monsieur L’amour De La Condor! As it’s a special one Ive kept it by for this Christmas.

Priced at 34 & 1/2p, I’m guessing it’s from the late 70’s?IMG_4903.jpeg
1oz plug, embossed on both sides!
IMG_4905.jpegIMG_4913.jpegSmoked it for the first time today in a Samuel McLardy from 1898. A lovely little Cutty which used to belong to late forum member Weezel.
IMG_4915.jpeg
Surprised at how nice tasting a smoke it is. Not in the least bit sharp or rough but an extremely deep & heady smoke. The strength (which is there in spades) expertly offset by whatever illegal flavourings it’s laced with. Delightful stuff, doesn’t taste like shit at all! Lol
Imagine a much stronger Condor, without the soap, crossed with a ‘Camberwell Carrot’ & you’ll be halfway there.
IMG_4734.gif
Thanks to Simon for giving me this smashing plug, cheers mush, made my Christmas!👍

G

Gimlet

Got given this plug earlier on in the year from my friend Monsieur L’amour De La Condor! As it’s a special one Ive kept it by for this Christmas.

Priced at 34 & 1/2p, I’m guessing it’s from the late 70’s?View attachment 273619
View attachment 273620View attachment 273621Smoked it for the first time today in a Samuel McLardy from 1898. A lovely little Cutty which used to belong to late forum member Weezel.
View attachment 273622
Surprised at how nice tasting a smoke it is. Not in the least bit sharp or rough but an extremely deep & heady smoke. The strength (which is there in spades) expertly offset by whatever illegal flavourings it’s laced with. Delightful stuff, doesn’t taste like shit at all! Lol
Imagine a much stronger Condor, without the soap, crossed with a ‘Camberwell Carrot’ & you’ll be halfway there.
View attachment 273631
Thanks to Simon for giving me this smashing plug, cheers mush, made my Christmas!👍
Wow! Must have been like opening a time capsule.
Earlier than late '70's I reckon. The UK went decimal in 1971. Everything was pounds and pence thereafter. '60's, could even be earlier judging by the packaging,

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com

Priced at 34 & 1/2p, I’m guessing it’s from the late 70’s?View attachment 273619
View attachment 273620View attachment 273621Smoked it for the first time today in a Samuel McLardy from 1898. A lovely little Cutty which used to belong to late forum member Weezel.
View attachment 273622
View attachment 273631
This stuff was made to knock you on your ass! At one point the ingredients included belladonna. A very Happy Christmas indeed!

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Wow! Must have been like opening a time capsule.
Earlier than late '70's I reckon. The UK went decimal in 1971. Everything was pounds and pence thereafter. '60's, could even be earlier judging by the packaging,
My dear Gimlet, to quote the great detective ‘you see but you don’t observe!’
IMG_4810.gif
Look again at the packaging & you’ll discover the price is in decimal. 34 & 1/2p not 6s 4pence h’penny. The price itself makes me think it’s from the latter half of the 70’s. Earlier decimal 1oz packages I’ve had in the past were cheaper than that. When I started smoking in the late 80’s, I can’t remember exactly how much they were but it was under a pound for a 1oz/25g packet. I think 20 fags were only just over a pound a packet back then.
I agree with you that the packaging looks decidedly old fashioned but the price (in decimal) dates it to the 70’s.