Lifer
Sep 7, 2019
‘24 CRF in an Altinay

53998373802_f0ed45e7c1_k.jpg

JoeW

Can't Leave
Apr 1, 2024
Upper Peninsula, Michigan, USA
Holy cow, I go away for a few hours to pick up my truck and go the library book sale, and everything falls apart.

Trying out this “relaxing” thing I’ve heard about, by sitting out on the deck and reading for a while, with some Capstan Blue in the Falcon.

IMG_6425.jpeg

I bought the Capstan in March, tried it once, and jarred it. I wasn’t able to taste anything, and it was too much hassle to keep lit.

Today I’m trying it again to see if I can do a better job when I’m in a relaxy mode.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Had some Sir Walter Raleigh in a clay cutty last night and broke down and dipped into my 2013 Christmas Cheer on the weekend in a Rattray's Butcher's Boy Sandblast.

@blueeyedogre The Clay King welcomes you to the Brotherhood of the Clay! Your avatar looks a lot like the Snake Room logo:
Axe throwing venue I go to in Chesterfield. I got 13 bullseyes today & 17 last week. Not lost it in the 4 weeks out of practice after spraining my ankle coming down the stairs & dropping a bag on my foot...

JoeW

Can't Leave
Apr 1, 2024
Upper Peninsula, Michigan, USA
A very rational quantity 1.333... flakes of OGS in the Imp Lattice Meer Sitter and half decaf while doing some remedial review of my HT's operation manual #study
View attachment 338542
What kind of HT? I bought an Alinco DJ-MD5TGP a few years ago to try digital, but ended up using it almost solely for 440.

73 de K8KT

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Near the half way mark of this bowl of year 2008 Astley’s No. 109 Medium Flake in a straight black 1963 Dunhill LB Shell 4S billiard with a tapered black vulcanite stem. Haven't smoked this pipe or its companion lately. Getting ready to clean a few pipes with Sleepy Suzy by my side.
Dunhill_1963_LB_billiard.jpg
Dunhill_1963_Full_Case_Close.jpg

rokerdepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2014
Ottawa, Canada
www.ericstendal.com
Out enjoying a bowl of tobacco after preparing supper for my Mrs.

Ravenwood Midnight Dreary in the quasi-Meer pipe that once belonged to my late pipe smoking mentor, Rusty. A little bit of 16-yr-old Aberfeldy in the glass with a wee drop of water or two.

Rusty had this to say about the two pipes (one of which is pictured below; currently smoking):

I have two of these and despite a choice of ~129 other pipes these often go with me when traveling, driving etc. Why? Because they smoke like meers but have proved to be very resilient pipes to take with me anywhere. The leather accepts mild bangs and dings without it making a mark at all. I hate discovering new dings on my clear finished briars so I'm more likely to take something rusticated or a blast in briar. The idea of taking any turkish meer traveling appalls me - it's eventually a death sentence for the meer - they are far too delicate. The leather covered meer has become the perfect answer. These rarely leave my active rotation. I usually just clean them and leave them alone for a few weeks then continue smoking them.

They were made by the Amboseli pipe company in Tanganyika and they're part of their Sportsman line. I bought mine new back in 1974. I'm still impressed at the fit and permanence of the leather and the drilling (which is good). The vulcanite stems connect to the meer via an aluminum tenon and the tenon seems to screw into a metal fitting embedded in the meer shank so it can't be over turned etc. They smoke like every other meer. The meer is African which is hardened. I think the history shows that the quality back in the 60's and 70's was very good but dropped later. Now it has apparently recovered but I haven't sampled any recent examples.
IMG_2923.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.