Status
Not open for further replies.

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
Early 20th Cent. one-piece briar stamped A.D.P + G. L. Pease CARAVAN:-

View attachment 41863
Unusual conical spur on the briar more usual on clay churchwardens and on such as this larger than standard size although admittedly with a far smaller bowl than the oversized Cadger.
Made by C.Crop of London (1840-1924).

A.D.P.
Adolph and brother David Posener traded in London from 1861 until 1877 but he kept the A.D.P nomenclature on his pipes after his brother left the partnership - David being his middle name - until 1899 although the silverware was stamped A.P .

A.D.P. Trivia
(An A.D.P pipe features in Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes short story "Silver Blaze" (1892):-
"We all filed into the front room, and sat round the central table, while the Inspector unlocked a square tin box and laid a small heap of things before us. There was a box of vestas, two inches of tallow candle, an A.D.P. briar-root pipe, a pouch of sealskin with half an ounce of long-cut cavendish, a silver watch with a gold chain, five sovereigns in gold, an aluminium pencil-case, a few papers, and an ivory-handled knife with a very delicate inflexible blade marked Weiss & Co., London.
'This is a very singular knife,' said Holmes, lifting it up and examining it minutely. 'I presume, as I see blood-stains upon it, that it is the one which was found in the dead man's grasp. Watson, this knife is surely in your line.'").

Virkia, did you get that info on A.D.P. pipes from my articles in The Pipe Collector or The Baker Street Journal?
I'm Dino Argyropoulos, the author of those articles.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
My first trip around the block this morning was with my OG MM Legend using the stem from a Peterson Barrel and stuffed with a melange of natural tobaccos that had accumulated in my gallon sized mixing bowl.
I'm about to select another pipe from the collection and fill it with 5 Brothers and get back outside before sunup.
I'm thinking a group 4 sized...I think maybe this tastes a little richer and stronger in some of my briars...and always hits the mark in a cob so I keep experimenting anyway...this is wonderful straight pure burley. (3rd cuppa on board)

virkia

Lifer
Jan 30, 2020
Status
Not open for further replies.