PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Just finished feeding the ferals and this bowl of year 2015 Mac Baren Virginia #1 in a straight black 1925 Dunhill patent shell Canadian 33 with a tapered black vulcanite stem. Watching a Gene Autry western.
Dunhill_1925_Canadian.jpg

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Finally...I've been experimenting with creating a Balkan that in some way resembles Penzance. Finally, after a lot of conversation and something Ernie wrote about his own Balkan recipe, I realized a back door to creating a Balkan that has a unique note that compliments the Virginias and Orientals - green river Cavendish with a topping that could blend well with the rest of the tobaccos. Using the proportions set out by a well-known tobacconist I worked a blend up and lo and behold, there it was. The Cavendish had just enough influence with its topping to do exactly what I needed to have happened. I am satisfied with most of my choices for Virginia leaf and oriental leaves, but I can continue to work on that. Now that I see how the Cavendish can influence the batch as a whole, I can continue to play with various tobaccos and change the overall flavor note to approximate whatever I decide I am looking to make. Anyway, I wanted to document this experiment and this is what I am doing here. For now, I'll refer to the blend as PMP - Poor Man's Penzance.