PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Enjoyed a tasty Snap Dragon apple, and am a third of the way through this bowl of Watch City American Cut Plug Mixture in a black rusticated medium bend 2021 Peterson POTY 4AB No. 67/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. I may end the day with this smoke. Watching Wyatt Earp.
4AB_Rusticated_67.jpg

Roach1

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 25, 2023
Germany
Good morning, any chance you participated in the Worked all Germany contest this weekend? I heard many signals stateside while listening earlier today but haven't worked anyone in the contest myself. Happy smokes, and good DX!
I worked a little yesterday evening and a bit this morning. Will do some more later mostly 40m. I worked just one US station this morning on 40 but quite a few Russian and Ukranien in addition to DOKs.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
2021 Esoterica Tilbury in a Savinelli Trevi Rusticated (320) 6mm. I’m using the White Elephant Meerschaum filters for this smoke, it’s only my 3rd time to use these filters.

image1.jpeg

I’m starting to see that the meerschaum filters make for a cooler, drier smoke that is more subtle tasting and easier on the mouth. They don’t seem to be distorting or muting the flavors, just turning them into a more delicate boutique.

One thing I’ve never seen talks over, is how using a filter allows you to change the character, and creating a slightly different blend.

Take for example a blend you really love, but it’s to rich/stout/heavy to smoke all day. Pop in a meerschaum filter, and now you have a lighter all day smoke, without muted flavors, just more delicate.

Or put in a charcoal filter, to mute the flavors, because it’s still to much flavor, and make for a lighter tasting blend.

And last, put in balsa to soften up some of the rough edges to a blend, to create a nicer mouth feel, with the least amount of change.

I would categorize the 3 Filters this way!

Meerschaum doesn’t mute - coolest/dry soft mouth feel of the 3
2. Charcoal delivers less flavors - cool soft mouth feel
3. Balsa for the least amount of change - nice feel, not as cool/soft

Be well everyone! 🤙 ❤️

IMG_2333.jpeg

Last edited:

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Passing the first third of this bowl of Wilke Back Bay w/o perique in a straight black sandblasted 1924 Parker’s Super Briar Bark 11 billiard with a tapered black vulcanite stem. This pipe was made in the second year of Parker production. I'll end the day with this smoke. Been spending time traffic copping the feral so that all of them can eat in peace.
1924_Parker_Billiard_11.jpg

JoburgB2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 30, 2024
Dundee, Scotland
Did a little low calorie snacking, and then smoked a bowl of year 2012 Virginia Spice in a 1979 pebble relief natural Verona Corallo 3080 Hungarian with a black acrylic saddle stem. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
I think I am about to ask a dumb question, but what is “bergs”?
PS: I like the Hungarian pipe.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Never slept, so I figured a little reading might help. I'm a third of the way through this bowl of year 2016 D&R Three Sails in an undated straight brush etched black Molina apple with a nickel band and a tapered black vulcanite stem. Sleepy Suzy wasn't happy about it either because I moved her off my chair and to the side. She's a getting a tad grouchy in her old age. ;)
Molina_Apple.jpg