PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
20231017233610_IMG_3167~2.JPG

Tonight I'm doing a comparison between my longtime favorite Burley blend, Haunted Bookshop, and it's cousin Pegasus; the latter of which I've never had before tonight. I'm smoking them both back to back in the Dr. Grabow Lark, since the small bowl is great for sampling.

My initial impression is that Pegasus is basically just Haunted Bookshop with unsweetened Black Cavendish instead of Perique. The only things I've ever disliked about Haunted Bookshop are how harsh it is on my throat towards the last half of the bowl and that the nicotine content is a little stronger than I generally prefer, and Pegasus solves both of those problems for me. I think I could easily smoke Pegasus all day and never get a sore throat or nicotine sickness, whereas Haunted Bookshop is very much a "once a day only" smoke for me if I don't want to get a sore throat.

On the flip side, without the subtle spice of Perique to liven things up the overall flavor profile of Pegasus is a little bland in comparison to Haunted Bookshop and I wouldn't mind Pegasus having just a little more Vitamin N. I think I'm going to have to smoke Pegasus at least a good 4 or 5 more times to really make up my mind about whether or not I like it better than Haunted Bookshop, since they're so similar in a lot of ways but very different in others. Flavor and tin note wise I definitely prefer Haunted Bookshop, but I think my throat would be a lot happier if I picked Pegasus for my usual rotation instead.

Last edited:

UncleRasta

Lifer
Sep 26, 2019
Monterey, CA
First bowl today is 2018 Quiet Nights in a Radice Rind Pure Billiard with Bamboo detailing. Hot cocoa on the side on a cold October day. My birthday, in fact. :)

Radice-2-Months-Belt-Stand500.jpg

Weather for Nerds/Geeks/Pilots
171953Z 24004KT 10SM BKN027 OVC033 12/06 A2998 RMK AO2
Happy Birthday @cwpiperman.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Just finished smoking 2021 Watch City Simply VOriental in a straight smooth medium brown 1930s Wilshire 5 bulldog (Comoy’s second) made for John’s Pipe Shop in Los Angeles with a black vulcanite saddle stem. Shy Stripesy was waiting at my back door, and after talking to her a bit, I went outside and she actually let me get a couple of feet from her for the first time in the three+ years I've been feeding her. Maybe more progress would have been made and maybe not, but all was undone by a jealous, territorial Tomato the Brave going over to her. Stripesy ran under the deck. So I brought Tomato inside to eat, and a couple of minutes later, Stripesy came back to eat. I talked to her through the screen door window for a while, and tried going outside after she ate most of the food. She was less receptive this time, and much more skittish than the first time, and went under the deck again. I wish Tomato had minded his own business because I felt a potential breakthrough was in the works. Hope I get another chance.
 Wilshire 5 bulldog.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.