PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
It says it’s based off of Verge Engine Overdrive, I loved that tabac, I hope this one is as good?

Cough Cough at @gamzultovah what ya think too? :)

P.S. After posting I see you posted a mistake, but have you had Dread Planet before?
Yes, I reviewed Dread Planet before it was released. The Virginias are different enough from VEO that I wouldn't say they were that similar.

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
I smoked some McClelland No. 24 from 1989 (a gift from Mike and Mary), in my Rich Lewis 731 calabash, during our Saturday ZOOM meeting. A mug of Upton Tea's Baker Street Afternoon Blend, with a little orange blossom honey, went quite well with the tobacco.
The photo shows the chip in the rim I got dropping the pipe, before Rich repaired it for me. It is now like new.

1635664526622.jpeg

Last edited:

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
I'm finally beginning to understand why many enjoy Elizabethan Mixture. I went through a tin this week in many different pipes, finishing the last bowl now in a Peterson system standard 301. Really enjoying the simple raisin and fig notes, with an occasional sweetness here and there. It's not that complex or anything, but I do enjoy the easy packing with the ribbon cut that these dunhill-peterson blends have.

It's interesting how certain blends (including this one) have a lower hot point where I lose the flavor than others, long before tongue bite occurs. I think that this is the "tongue tingle" point that JimInks points out in his reviews? Anyway, really good stuff. Glad to finally get it a little bit!

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Oz, Wish your Dad a Happy Birthday from me!
Thank you, Dino.

Lucky to have him still.
He had a heart attack aged 62yo (smoked 40-60 cigs/day). At the time, he was treated in a "normal" hospital ward, as he was over 60yo and the Coronary Care/Intensive Care Ward was reserved for patients under 60yo. Obviously he wasn't expected to survive much past 62yo, and it would have been deemed a "misuse of a valuable facility" !
I guess he's having the last laugh :)

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
A quarter of the way through this bowl of D&R Penhooker Silver in a straight smooth brown undated pre-republic Peterson Shamrock 263 Canadian with a nickel band and a black tapered vulcanite p-lip stem. This will finish my smoking day. Listening to Boris Karloff in Inner Sanctum on the XM as I work.
Peterson_PR_Canadian_Shamrock.jpg

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Good Morning all. It is chilly here in Florida with the morning temperature hovering around 62 and the highs in the early 70s. I realize everyone else in the north of the U.S is freezing but this is considered quite cold for this part of Florida. I am starting my day off with a bowl of Bosun Plug in the usual style meerschaum pipe before taking a shower and contemplating breakfast.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
Pretty special day - Dad turning 99 yo. He's hanging around for the Queen's Congrulatory Letter next year for his 100th !
A family BBQ for 12 (a few family members are in Singapore and Melbourne),

A mini malt whisky tasting to finish, with a Trinidad (box from 2006). This was a definite finger burner.

View attachment 106088View attachment 106089
Congratulations!

That’s a great selection of whiskies you have there. How is the Archie Rose? I love their gin but have not tried their single malt.

Jul 3, 2020
Scottish Borders
You’ve had a real soaking this last couple of days, I hope you’re not in a area prone to flooding. We’ve got a bit of a Hooghly coming through the SE this morning but nothing like what you’ve had. Hope the livestock is safe, as well as your good self of course.
@Birddog66 all good thanks, we’re lucky as our home is uphill and away from any watercourses. A local town had evacuated about five hundred folks, the river reached 3 meters above the mark. Thankfully the flood defences done the job. Showers and gusty conditions today.
Hope all is well with you mate ?
Happy (dry) smokes
Ettrick puffer