PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I just jarred up new tins of SG FVF and St James Flake, and decided to combine the shake from both and smoke that in my Big Ben Ranger. Well, once I get it to stay lit…

Post-script: the flavors and aromas were enchanting when I was able to get the bowl rolling for a bit. I’ve been thinking about it ever since!

But tonight I’m trying out Sutliff ERR Match for the first time, in my newest and cleanest cob. The tobacco was so fluffy and smelled so cocoa-y, that it was like trying to pack a pipe with a chocolate brownie!

12D6654F-49FB-4CDC-A4E4-148F722F82B1.jpeg

Taste and aroma are very nice so far, just trying not to fall in love on the first date!

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
Age will not benefit EGR or any aromatic in a tin long term, which is why I'm smoking through all my tins before I get back to the tubs. So far, no problems with the 2014 tins. I've seen a little change in the tubs over a few years time (you should sampled the 20 year old tub I had!!), but not much in the tins outside of the burley being a tad more prominent. Eventually, the toppings will weaken in the tins, which is not uncommon, so I decided not to take any chances. As EGR toppings are mild, I was concerned about losing any.
Thanks for the reply.
I’m going to open up a fresh tin to smoke and jar half of it. If it’s one I really enjoy, I’ll replace them as I go, to always have a stock “on deck” In the cellar.

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
Georgetown Councilman in a nice little WDC Milano Hesson Guard Zulu
View attachment 183804
The Councilman was an interesting follow to the Peretti Cambridge Flake earlier today. Both are "Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia" blends, with the Lat way in the background. Similar concept? The Flake was spicier, and a richer smoke. More cocoa in the councilman? Similar, but definitely different!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Enjoyed a tasty Jazz apple, and am a third of the way through this bowl of F&T Blackjack in a straight smooth brown post-WWII Comoy’s Grand Slam billiard 27 Canadian patent 341422 with a black vulcanite saddle stem. Community Coffee, neat, is my drink. Watching a documentary about the science of landing on Mars.
Comoy’s_Grand Slam_27billiardC.P.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Thanks for the reply.
I’m going to open up a fresh tin to smoke and jar half of it. If it’s one I really enjoy, I’ll replace them as I go, to always have a stock “on deck” In the cellar.
You're welcome.

If you decide that EGR is a blend you'll smoke with any frequency, you're better off buying a tub. The tobacco in there is a little moister, and if you don't remove the plastic seal, the tobacco will stay fresh for a long time. When I smoke a tub, I open up the seal just enough to fill an empty tin, and reseal it until the next time I need some. The other advantage is that in the long run, a tub is cheaper than tins by volume.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Cut out of work early tonight. Smoking Murray's Three Year Matured Virginia before bed.

9AUEiwy_d.webp

Status
Not open for further replies.