PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
Going to have what I’ve dubbed, Modern Major-General (a 1:1 mix of Esoterica Penzance and Lane 1Q, as per @Chasing Embers ’s fine recommendation) in a Kaywoodie All Briar Meerschaum 12B A (the smaller “A” is centered below the 12B on the shank, “B” in italic for whatever reason) Bulldog, circa 1953–1955. Big thanks to @Ahi Ka and @Humblepipe for the pipe! I love it and will cherish it.

View attachment 178752
Mine is very similar to yours but marked O 7 G with a small capital A underneath. I believe the meer lined All Briar were only made during ‘55 but I could be wrong on that point. They’re a beautiful pipe though and pretty rare. image.jpg

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
Starting the day with some 2016 stoved Escudo in this 1969 Donegal Rocky, very smooth, very tasty and I want another bowl right after this one but it’s rationed due to limited quantity.

On another note I’m trying to summon the hutzpah to light up this Kaywoodie Matched Grain set I got recently. I have a bit of a problem firing up unsmoked pipes and it can take a while for me to make the leap. I also want to get a better set of pictures of them, the grain even matches inside the bowls and it seems like an act of desecration to smoke them. Silly I know but I’ll get to them eventually. image.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Starting the day with some 2016 stoved Escudo in this 1969 Donegal Rocky, very smooth, very tasty and I want another bowl right after this one but it’s rationed due to limited quantity.

On another note I’m trying to summon the hutzpah to light up this Kaywoodie Matched Grain set I got recently. I have a bit of a problem firing up unsmoked pipes and it can take a while for me to make the leap. I also want to get a better set of pictures of them, the grain even matches inside the bowls and it seems like an act of desecration to smoke them. Silly I know but I’ll get to them eventually. View attachment 178856View attachment 178857View attachment 178858

I can relate to your struggle, but lean towards preserving them. I have unsmoked boxed sets of Longchamp and Pipes by Lee that I'm leaving as is—they're beautiful examples that have survived in pristine condition for over fifty years. My thinking is I have or can get similar models that are already smoked and can smoke those, and don't want to turn the sets into just some more used pipes.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
I can relate to your struggle, but lean towards preserving them. I have unsmoked boxed sets of Longchamp and Pipes by Lee that I'm leaving as is—they're beautiful examples that have survived in pristine condition for over fifty years. My thinking is I have or can get similar models that are already smoked and can smoke those, and don't want to turn the sets into just some more used pipes.
I love a Longchamp and have about eleven of them I think, including the Lizard and Alligator skin wraps. I’m still searching for a boxed set myself but all of mine were previously smoked. They’re mostly all reserved for VaPers as they handle that mix particularly well.
I might do like yourself and keep them pristine as I’m not exactly short on choices here 😬

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com

Five Brothers: Five Brothers in a Clay...​

vEF5ntf.jpg
@weezell Looks like one of my pipes:)

Status
Not open for further replies.