PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
Just got an OD Williamsburg as my second clay and I'm loving it so far. So much nicer than the Old German, I have to say.
I'm 99% sure they used a shortened Williamsburg as old Tom's pipe in The Lighthouse (2019) - a favorite movie of mine.
I’m gonna buy a clay pipe. I’m curious; in what way is the Old Dominion preferable to the Old German?

Jeremiah Johnson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2020
Westchester County, NY
I've been smoking quite a bit of Cornell & Diehl's "Big & Burley" lately, and really developing an appreciation for it. I smoke Old Joe Krantz most often, but while I love OJK I have one problem with it: no matter what I store the tobacco in, I always end up with an inch or more of mostly tobacco "dust." This dust (for lack of a better word) isn't very nice to smoke; it just doesn't burn right, and just somehow doesn't provide an enjoyable smoke for me. I can't put it any better than that! :) I don't know what it is about the tobacco that causes it> I smoke OJK bulk, and it's a little better when I buy a tin, But I smoke it regularly enough that it makes sense to buy bulk.

Anyway, I had some old Big & Burley that was pretty dried out, but I rehydrated it, and it smokes great! It's pretty close to OJK. OJK does have that bit more perique, so the B&B is lacking that slight bit of plum or prune tase, so it's definitely more of a straight burley experience, but it's got a little - I forget what, but a little virginia and a small bit of perique I think. But it's basically a nice, burley blend that DOES NOT give me that problem of the dusty remnants that are wasteful to just accumulate or throw out. I keep hoping I'll find a use for it - maybe rolling cigarettes?

So I'm thinking I'm going to try replacing OJK with Big & Burley for a couple of days and see how that goes. Have to put in an order for eight ounces or so, for starters. I usually have a bowl of Chelsea Morning or Early Morning Pipe or Carter Hall in the morning, and Bayou Night in the early evening - that's about as much latakia as I can handle!

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
@PipeIT
As fascinating and interesting as this transformation is, even though the darkened pipe is still attractive, it now has the colouring often seen on many pipes, making it seem more ordinary. I’m in no rush to achieve this kind of colouring, as handsome as it may be.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And you, sir, are the beholder! That big ol’ chunker should take a while to color up either way!

starrynight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2023
Channeling my inner PNW with some PBR, a dunhill bully and Carolina Red Flake.
I've been smoking quite a bit of Cornell & Diehl's "Big & Burley" lately, and really developing an appreciation for it. I smoke Old Joe Krantz most often, but while I love OJK I have one problem with it: no matter what I store the tobacco in, I always end up with an inch or more of mostly tobacco "dust." This dust (for lack of a better word) isn't very nice to smoke; it just doesn't burn right, and just somehow doesn't provide an enjoyable smoke for me. I can't put it any better than that! :) I don't know what it is about the tobacco that causes it> I smoke OJK bulk, and it's a little better when I buy a tin, But I smoke it regularly enough that it makes sense to buy bulk.

Anyway, I had some old Big & Burley that was pretty dried out, but I rehydrated it, and it smokes great! It's pretty close to OJK. OJK does have that bit more perique, so the B&B is lacking that slight bit of plum or prune tase, so it's definitely more of a straight burley experience, but it's got a little - I forget what, but a little virginia and a small bit of perique I think. But it's basically a nice, burley blend that DOES NOT give me that problem of the dusty remnants that are wasteful to just accumulate or throw out. I keep hoping I'll find a use for it - maybe rolling cigarettes?

So I'm thinking I'm going to try replacing OJK with Big & Burley for a couple of days and see how that goes. Have to put in an order for eight ounces or so, for starters. I usually have a bowl of Chelsea Morning or Early Morning Pipe or Carter Hall in the morning, and Bayou Night in the early evening - that's about as much latakia as I can handle!
so, I feel like I had the same issue with haunted bookshop—it was really strange. I’ve been wanting to try the cake version to see if that clears it up…

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Fed three ferals, and am passing the first third of this bowl of Watch City Queequeg’s Moby Dick Series in a straight brown sandblasted post-WWII family era Sasieni “Canadian” London Made with a sterling silver band with a tapered black vulcanite twin bore stem.
Sasieni “Canadian”-blast_ss band.jpg

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York

You can try using the “dust” on top of your pack, sort of like kindling, to start off the charring light.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Vet came by today to do an annual checkup on Mr. Mustang. 🐎 100%, clean bill of health! Quickest, easiest vet visit ever, and nevermind that I was passing time with Mac Baren Vanilla Roll Cake in a MM Dagner Poker. Spent the rest of the day doing driveway maintenance, and with a BIG temperature drop...C&D Palmetto Balkan in a Savinelli Bacco 321 bent author. World No Tobacco Day is tomorrow, so it pays to get an early start.

Cheers!

bacco & pouch.jpg

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Just got an OD Williamsburg as my second clay and I'm loving it so far. So much nicer than the Old German, I have to say.
I'm 99% sure they used a shortened Williamsburg as old Tom's pipe in The Lighthouse (2019) - a favorite movie of mine.
@Lumbridge I'll have to get some more Old Dominion pipes next year. If I was re-enacting the English Civil War the Jamestown would be my pipe of choice; the Williamsburg would be perfect for Lace Wars / Redcoats & Revolutionaries.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
I’m gonna buy a clay pipe. I’m curious; in what way is the Old Dominion preferable to the Old German?
@Auxsender I like them both but the Old Dominion doesn't seem to stick to the mouth and I think they look the part at living history events. I'll have to get some more Jamestown clays and get a Williamsburg clay. I like that they're based on original clay pipes.
We covered firelighting during my bushcraft course and I lit my clay with the fire tinder lit with flint & steel / bow drill. Great lighting my clay without matches or a lighter!
I really enjoyed having my clay pipe lit from the blacksmith's forge at the Redcoats & Revolutionaries events at Cromford Mill; going there again this year!

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
Another lovely afternoon under the gazebo called for a shmek of tobacco. I jammed my Old Dominion Williamsburg clay with 2019 Carolina Red Flake and enjoyed a nice short smoke. (Rather than setting my beard to flame by sticking my head in the Weber, I used my Xikar.)
I sneaked a few sips of my wife's G&T to add to the pleasure.

1685518690251.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.