PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Just had first break in smoke, in my new to me Barontini Ameretto 302 Hungarian. I used a mix of CS Old Toby and C&D Autumn Evening to sweeten the bowl a bit and form the initial ash coating. And ... the grain and birdseye started to darken a bit right away while smoking from the inside out despite what some pipesmokers say. I wasn't handling the bowl.

View attachment 219676
While smoking a baby fox ran out from the bushes onto the lawn to try and capture the mourning doves but they were too quick for it. The fox couldn't have been more than 6-8 months old ... about 15+ pounds i'd guess. Like a puppy. Black paws, reddish body and some white spots on face and chest.
Follow up : I had a second bowl of C&D Autumn Evening in the Barontini 302 to continue the break in process, this time to the bottom of bowl leaving a nice thin ash all around ... Sweet smoke with maple flavor. The stem started to oxidize in spots for some reason although I didn't get it wet. So I used the lighter, toothpaste method then some renaissance wax to bring it back to black.

I didn't see the baby fox again but I did see Daddy fox on the hillside hunting for chipmunks so he must be teaching the little one. Also saw a hawk, geese, doves and cardinals and the young doe all at the same time period. Nice peaceful calm afternoon smoke. So much different than the mass media world ! 🕊️

haebar

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2014
East Tennessee
Home after a tiring day at work followed by grueling physical therapy for my back but I feel great! Smoking some Five brothers in a Dr. Grabow Eldorado.
Dr-Grabow-Eldorado.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Not far from finishing this bowl of Wilke No. 515 in a 1998 smooth straight Butz-Choquin Bistro 1501 pot with a black vulcanite saddle stem. This was the original 515 that Basil Rathbone smoked. Posted reviews of the four soon-to-be released Wilke blends at TR.
Butz-Choquin1501_Bistro_Pot.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Did a second set of walking reps on this sunny, breezy day, and smoked a bowl of year 2015 D&R A.B. Rimboche in an undated slight bend, smooth flame grain Wessex Standard egg with a brown accent on the black vulcanite saddle stem. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
Wessex_bent.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Now smoking year 2012 Rolando’s Own in a smooth straight early ‘60s Lane era “William Conrad” Charatan Executive Extra Large stretch apple with diagonal channel cuts on the lower right and left of the bowl along with a black vulcanite double comfort saddle stem.
Conrad_apple-thumbnail copy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.