PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
Continuing my stroll through old fashioned oriental forward low/no lat blends. This is another Gawith blend made for Tavern Tobacco, "Rose of Zanzibar", 2005 vintage, in a Stanwell Amber poker.
View attachment 146720
I always enjoy delving into the details of pictures posted on the forum. There’s often a unique or homemade pipe smoking accoutrement two observe.
In the picture you posted recently, I noticed the wine cork with a screw. This appears to be a tamper of some sort?
I’ve never heard of the Gawith blend, love the tin art! Clean with no propaganda warnings.

OldWill

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 9, 2022
Blanco, Texas
Yes, the cork with drywall screw is my fishing tamper, which floats it I drop it. Of course it turns out to work better than some of my regular tampers, so I use it often. I can also use the cork end to help pack folded flakes into larger bowls.
The long defunct Tavern Tobacco Co. in Knoxville, TN always used great tin art when they packaged Gawith's tobaccos. I picked up several in 2005 when I visited U of Tenn to attend a professional society meeting.
Thanks for noticing.

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
Yes, the cork with drywall screw is my fishing tamper, which floats it I drop it. Of course it turns out to work better than some of my regular tampers, so I use it often. I can also use the cork end to help pack folded flakes into larger bowls.
The long defunct Tavern Tobacco Co. in Knoxville, TN always used great tin art when they packaged Gawith's tobaccos. I picked up several in 2005 when I visited U of Tenn to attend a professional society meeting.
Thanks for noticing.
Thanks @OldWill for the reply.
I see the utility in it for sure. It would really work well on some of my pipes that have smaller bowls and are tapered on the bottom.
I think I’m going to craft me up one!

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Good afternoon, almost evening now. Smoking the first third of a classic Toscano. Now at home, smoking this endless Italian cucumber of the devil. My father-in-law can't stop laughing, he says my cave stinks. My sister-in-law arrives on Monday, for a vacation at my house. She will have to sleep every night in my cave, there are no more free rooms. She was a smoker many years ago, of stinking cigarettes. Now she is a vegetarian and does a lot of yoga. My father-in-law says there was a time when she was a beer drinker and ate steaks of almost a kilo. Oh yeah, baby, you're going to have nightmares in my cave at night. Surrounded by pipes, tobacco and ashes on the carpet. Damn, I could write a nice song. IMG_4420[3794].jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.