PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
A quarter of the way through this bowl of D&R Raccoon’s Friend in a pre-1980s straight dark brown Comoy's Sandblast 186 billiard with a black vulcanite tapered stem. Working and listening to The Phil Harris-Alice Faye Show on the XM.
Comoy's Sandblast 186 billiard copy.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Enjoyed a tasty golden delicious apple, and am part way through this bowl of Edgeworth Ready Rubbed Match in a very much appreciated 1979 brown, slight bend grain etched flat front Stanwell Rego 969-48 (09) with a black vulcanite saddle stem.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Since I'm not sleepy, I'm smoking Prince Albert in a 2020 smooth light brown, slight bent J. Everett straight grain chubby author with a spalted birch ferrule and a black saddle vulcanite stem in the military mount style. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
J.Everett_Author_2 copy.jpg

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
I am not sure if it's double stamped and I have not been able to find the date codes for it. I would be interested in learning more. Thanks.
Also the amber stem is very fragile as @jiminks was saying earlier so I may wrap it with vinyl tape when I smoke it again.

Front and back pics posted below.

J.B. without frame
Ernest Vincent BROWN trading as Josiah BROWN - Nottingham
CHE
tobacconist and importer

View attachment 79791
View attachment 79792
That’s weird, the M on top looks like it’s from the 1980’s but it’s obviously earlier and the letter underneath looks 1950’s (maybe). Neither letter really corresponds with the pipes date and that date stamp shouldn’t have left the assay office in Birmingham like that. It’s a real puzzle but If I had to guess I’d say 1911. Apparently amber becomes very brittle so I wouldn’t clench if you can help it. Beautiful pipe regardless.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
Amazing carving on your 'dragons chasing the pearl' rack - a motif used on any number of objects coming from the Orient from c.1900 to c.1920 such as photograph frames ...

View attachment 79809

... etc. and reminded me of one I have in storage except mine is almost black (heavier than you would expect) and hinged so that it folds flat.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Borkum Riff Gold CHERRY & VANILLA in a group 3 Dunhill 'Oval Stem Pear' from 1978:-

View attachment 79810
Mine is hinged too, and like you say heavier than it looks. The back panel is slightly warped giving it a bit of a stoop but the detail makes up for it. On another note you were absolutely right about that Goede Waagen Pipe, it’s clay fired to look like meerschaum, I thought it was rather heavy for a meer and harder.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
I always like to smoke something different, depending on mood, but typically I like sweeter English, that have more flavor profiles than just smoke and wood.

If you haven’t tried Sillem’s Black, this is really nice, and I do mean Sillem’s not Johnny Aylesbury Black.

The tin I have, has some really interesting flavors going on, different from any English/Balkan I’ve smoked.

Thanks for the recommendation, I looked at Sillem Black when I put my last SP order in but I believe they were out of it. Next time..

Status
Not open for further replies.