PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Now smoking year 2014 4Noggins Prairie Wind in a smooth medium brown medium bend 1950s B.B.B. Own Make 307 apple with a sterling silver band and black vulcanite saddle stem. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
B.B.B._Own_Make307_apple .jpg

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
That’s the way to do it!
What are you teaching?
5th Graders. I work in a Barrio Community, but I teach the gifted. Most of the people I personally know, if not all of the them, state to me that their children are gifted. I rarely reply out of courtesy, but its hogwash. I teach the gifted and I know the difference. Some of the children I work with can reason, solve, and answer complicated problems faster than I can communicate them to the students. A few days ago, I was introducing multiplication of fractions. I proposed the problem 5/7 x 35 =. I asked a student what he thought the answer was without working it out. Before I could finish he said 25. I inquired as to how he knew that and he answered as follows, "Let's assume that the question is 1 x 35. Let's assume we think of the # 1 as 7/7. That means that 35 has been divided into 7 equal parts and since we are only referring to 5 of those parts and since 7 goes into 35 five times, we only need to take two 5s from 35 and we have our answer.

My head was spinning. Without any real instruction, he devised a ratio table in his head, understood how it worked, and came to an answer, all within about one second. That is gifted. My student teacher wanted him to do it "correctly" and use the algorithm, but after he thought about it, he was in awe as was I.

This is a more detailed answer then you were looking for, but this is what I teach. Not that it is important, but the majority of my students are either first generation immigrants or born somewhere else. My only regret is that they have come to America only to receive a half-assed education that is hell bent on dumbing down the curriculum and lowering anything that remotely smells like a standard that should be upheld.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
5th Graders. I work in a Barrio Community, but I teach the gifted. Most of the people I personally know, if not all of the them, state to me that their children are gifted. I rarely reply out of courtesy, but its hogwash. I teach the gifted and I know the difference. Some of the children I work with can reason, solve, and answer complicated problems faster than I can communicate them to the students. A few days ago, I was introducing multiplication of fractions. I proposed the problem 5/7 x 35 =. I asked a student what he thought the answer was without working it out. Before I could finish he said 25. I inquired as to how he knew that and he answered as follows, "Let's assume that the question is 1 x 35. Let's assume we think of the # 1 as 7/7. That means that 35 has been divided into 7 equal parts and since we are only referring to 5 of those parts and since 7 goes into 35 five times, we only need to take two 5s from 35 and we have our answer.

My head was spinning. Without any real instruction, he devised a ratio table in his head, understood how it worked, and came to an answer, all within about one second. That is gifted. My student teacher wanted him to do it "correctly" and use the algorithm, but after he thought about it, he was in awe as was I.

This is a more detailed answer then you were looking for, but this is what I teach. Not that it is important, but the majority of my students are either first generation immigrants or born somewhere else. My only regret is that they have come to America only to receive a half-assed education that is hell bent on dumbing down the curriculum and lowering anything that remotely smells like a standard that should be upheld.
That’s so cool!
It must be gratifying to feed the minds of kids with that kind of intellectual capacity ( especially kids from under served populations)

I’ve taught a few university courses and I am amazed at how many undergrads are basically incapable of communicating their thoughts coherently either verbally or in writing.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
That’s so cool!
It must be gratifying to feed the minds of kids with that kind of intellectual capacity ( especially kids from under served populations)

I’ve taught a few university courses and I am amazed at how many undergrads are basically incapable of communicating their thoughts coherently either verbally or in writing.
Thank you and yes, it is.

Gus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
good night all, second and last Champions League night of the week, Russ Ouelette Blend Luigi Viprati, years ago, 2015, when it was not yet official a friend brought me from the Chicago Pipe Show some 150gr, in a J.T. Cooke

JT Cooke.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Enjoyed a tasty lunch, and am now smoking Watch City Simply VOriental in an undated straight smooth medium brown Wilshire 5 bulldog (Comoy’s second) made for John’s Pipe Shop in Los Angeles with a black vulcanite saddle stem. Time to do an interview.
 Wilshire 5 bulldog copy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.