PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 25, 2020
Enjoyed a tasty lunch, and am a third of the way through this bowl of year 2013 Stonehaven in a 1998 smooth medium bend Peterson Limerick 69 with a nickel band with a tapered black vulcanite p-lip stem.
Do you see differences between this pipe and more expensive Peterson's? Or we just pay for the sliver bands and the spigot nonsense?

lelik

Lifer
Aug 21, 2019
WZveB77.jpg

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
Smoking Mac Baren Vanilla Cream (loose cut) in an unfinished, bent MM Legend. ...just bought a beautiful pipe and some Mac Baren Dark Twist. My wife doesn't smoke but loves my pipe hobby, she made me buy this Kaywoodie Sabiatta..such an enabler lol. Hope you folks are having a delicious evening puffy -cheers!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Do you see differences between this pipe and more expensive Peterson's? Or we just pay for the sliver bands and the spigot nonsense?
Most of the time, yes. In this particular case, the Limerick I was smoking truly smokes above its grade, which is why I smoke Stonehaven in it. Usually, the higher grades are better smokers with better grain (which doesn't affect the smoking quality of a pipe one way or another). I got very lucky with the Limerick.

As for silver bands and spigots, they are cosmetic, and do not affect your smoking experience, except fo the state of mind it puts you in. You're buying higher grade Petersons for better wood, which should mean a better smoke most/all of the time. If that doesn't happen, you don't get your money's worth, and the wood is the culprit.

I have a couple of Charatan seconds that smoke as well as higher grade firsts. These things just happen with all companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.