PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

RPK

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2023
Central NJ, USA
View attachment 317224Lunting along highway Y in Clarence, Missouri. Peterson B10 Limerick with Dengler Black Maria - an excellent early morning smoke.
After reading this post I searched for Dengler's Black Maria to find and buy some to no avail. The website I guess no longer exists since there are new owners.... how can they be reached... are they still in business ? Thanks.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Mixed reply here… sorry in advance for that.
Living in Portugal is a huge handicap if you are a pipe smoker. I’ve finally discovered a place in Spain(Galicia) which will allow me to enjoy new blends and some well established ones. I know that for some of you this might be something you just find around the corner and not something new!
1st. pic - The blends I bought in my first visit over there.
2nd pic - My choice for today. Peterson 965 Mixture in a Peterson Kildare.

Where in Galicia is this shop? Susan’s sister has a place in Ribeira there where we stay when we visit.

TheHellYeah

Might Stick Around
Aug 2, 2023
Porto, Portugal
instagram.com
Where in Galicia is this shop? Susan’s sister has a place in Ribeira there where we stay when we vis

Where in Galicia is this shop? Susan’s sister has a place in Ribeira there where we stay when we visit.
I believe it’s far from Ribeira, if the Ribeira you are talking about is the one near to Santiago de Compostela.
This shop in Galicia where I went is on the margin of Minho River. In the border with Portugal on an avenue called Avenida de Portugal, just before the bridge that leads to my country.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
After reading this post I searched for Dengler's Black Maria to find and buy some to no avail. The website I guess no longer exists since there are new owners.... how can they be reached... are they still in business ? Thanks.
Yes, they are still there. SELECTION | LIT Pipe and Cigar - https://www.litstc.com/selection
The name has changed but the recipes are still the same from what I understand.

Black Maria - pronounced Mariah - is like comfort food.

telescopes

Photo on 6-14-24 at 11.20 AM.jpg
Still smoking my Peterson with Dengler Black Maria. @RPK asked about the shop. Larry, John Dengler's son-in-law, retired last year and sold the shop along with all the recipes and paraphernalia that made it a traditional American pipe shop. Their focus is cigars but they have all of John's recipes. I have the original recipe myself, but I am hesitant to give it out as it was a trade secret. I can say that it follows the traditional proportions of American style "English Blends". Black Maria, pronounced Mariah, is really a comfort food style blend. It is like the black coffee served up by a pleasant looking waitress at an old fashioned diner. I turn back to it when I tire of exploring the many varied blends of tobacco out there and need something that John Denver might write a song about. Almost Heaven! Ah...

telescopes

@RPK I plan on stopping by the shop this week to see how things have changed. John Dengler was and is a legend in the Midwest. When he died, his body was carried through down Main Street in a horse drawn Hearst accompanied by Drum and Fife marching band. He was the unofficial mayor of Saint Charles and a beloved citizen. A master blender, he could take whatever blend you wanted replicated and taste it and very quickly whip up a close approximation. His family shop dates back to 1917. I hope you enjoy the tobacco - while not quite the fancy blends we have today, it will take you back a century and provide you a smoke reminiscent of what your great grandfather might have smoked.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I believe it’s far from Ribeira, if the Ribeira you are talking about is the one near to Santiago de Compostela.
This shop in Galicia where I went is on the margin of Minho River. In the border with Portugal on an avenue called Avenida de Portugal, just before the bridge that leads to my country.
Btw, do they sell Amphoras in Portugal ?