PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Bowl #10 in my Astas Meer claw. I thought the coloring on the side claws may have been from me holding it there. But the claw stem side is doing it too. I've never touched it there.

Pegasus tonight.

View attachment 321029View attachment 321030

Must be smoke hitting it there.
I thought so too until I noticed the same coloring on the inside of the claw.20240630_214457.jpg

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
Mac Baren HH Pure Virginia in a Dr. Grabow Royalton to start my day! I was actually wanting to have some more Peterson Irish Flake, but Irish Flake first thing in the morning on an empty stomach seemed like a potentially unwise decision so I went with one of my usual morning blends (typically either HH Pure Virginia or Sutliff 507C Virginia Slices) instead.puffy

IMG20240523133107~2.jpg

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Played a round with a friend at the local 9-hole this afternoon. Took along Scotty's Trout Stream in a MM Dagner Poker, which will be my last smoke of the month. Had my usual assortment of poor shots, okay shots, and really good shots, and the bowl was quite nice too. 8.4/10

Bird report: California scrub-jay, California towhee, California quail, Brewer's blackbird, Red-tailed hawk, American crow, House finch, Steller's jay, Mountain chickadee, Oak titmouse, Hairy woodpecker, White-breasted nuthatch, and Western bluebird. No birdies on the course, though I came close twice.

Wishing everyone a good week!

Last edited:

Tongue-Fried

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2024
NC Foothills
IMG_0288.jpeg

Closing out my Sunday evening with long, cool, satisfying draws of bright Virginia from this Wellington (I think) p-lip stemmed sandblast. Such a narrow bowl that my tamp BARELY fits.

It’s accompanied by my coffee of choice: a 20oz cup of Mayorga Cuban Roast, French pressed, with a touch of dark sugar.

The kids were absolutely insane today as we spent our afternoon at the outdoor mall searching for Independence Day outfits for the baseball game and fireworks on Wednesday night. This smoke was much needed after the long outing; but no worries, I’ll be back in my woodshop bright and early tomorrow morning in the peace and quiet!

Hoping everyone had an enjoyable weekend… sláinte!

PrivatePiping

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2023
Todd - Boise, ID

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
What style are the other pipes from your collection that you prefer for straight Virginia, or feel are better suited to those blends? Do you feel like your “meatier”/thicker-bowl pipes seem to smoke a straight Virginia best?
For me, it's not a matter of style most of the time. Sometimes, it's trial and error no matter what the blend is or the shape of the pipe. Some pipes just don't smoke some blends as well as they do others. I picked a number of old pipes for straight Virginias in the past four years that I had accumulated because I wanted to take advantage of what old wood brings to the experience. Straight Va.s will help you discover that better than any other kind of varietal in my opinion.

In the case of the Karl Erik you saw, I tried a straight Virginia when I got it to see how it would smoke. It dd so well that I decided to dedicate it that genre. There was no other reason than that. It's just a great smoker.

Status
Not open for further replies.