PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
On to what will probably be my last smoke of the night! This time around I'm trying out Cornell & Diehl Kelly's Coin, in a pretty little Rattray's Blower's Daughter.

20240629004023_IMG_6138~2.JPG

In my first impressions mini reviews of Royal Yacht and Kendal Dark I said that they were pretty strong blends, but weren't going to put you on the floor. Kelly's Coin is a "put you on the floor" blend. As in, "Do not pass Go, do not collect $200 in SmokingPipes.com store credit, go straight to the floor." As far as strong Burley blends go, Haunted Bookshop and Old Joe Krantz have absolutely nothing on this stuff. Ten minutes of smoking was about all I could handle of Kelly's Coin before having to put the pipe down lest I risk nicotine sickness.

Now that we've gotten the strength out of the way though, what does it taste like? If you've ever had Pegasus then Kelly's Coin is quite similar, but substantially darker in the flavor department. It's a similar mix to Pegasus with Burley, a little Virginia, and a tiny bit of unsweetened Black Cavendish; but in Kelly's Coin the dark Burley is front and center and there to kick you up one side and down the other. It's deeply walnuty, gamey, barnyard'y, and would probably be extraordinarily unpleasant to anyone who doesn't have a taste for dark Burley. It's bordering on nasty, but in a good Burley way.

However, if you're the sort who enjoys that whole Pegasus/Haunted Bookshop/Old Joe Krantz family but wish you had something even darker tasting and with enough nicotine to tranquilize an above average sized rhinoceros then Kelly's Coin will likely be right up your alley. It's also surprisingly smooth on the retrohale with little to no sting, even smoother than Pegasus I'd say, but the throat irritating qualities that dark Burley can have for some people are definitely there in full force; moreso than in any other Burley blend I've ever had. After 10 minutes gently sipping little wisps of smoke from Kelly's Coin my throat is awfully sore and I feel like I could sure use a cough drop.

Ultimately this blend probably isn't going to be for me, since my throat seems none too fond of it, but the taste and strength would be quite nice for a Burley lover and I'd recommend fans of Pegasus, Haunted Bookshop, and Old Joe Krantz give it a try. Sissies need not apply.

Last edited:

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Passing the first third of this bowl of year 2020 Watch City Rouxgaroux in a smooth medium bend 2021 Peterson POTY Natural 4AB No. 6/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. Going to catch up on the forum, and feed any ferals who are around.
4AB_Nat_left.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Passing the quarter mark of this bowl of year 2018 D&R Windsail in a smooth straight dark brown family era “Canadian” by Sasieni with a tapered black vulcanite stem.
Just finished work and this bowl of Wilke High Hat in an undated black sandblasted straight made in France Silvermatch Canadian with a tapered black vulcanite stem.
Enjoyed a little snacking, and am off to the studio with a bowl of year 2020 D&R VIP in a 2004 smooth long shank Trever Talbot Ligne Bretagne Faite en Bretagne 4/3 lumberman with a tapered black vulcanite stem.
Enjoyed a tasty golden delicious apple, and am off to work with a bowl of year 2020 D&R Penhooker Silver in a straight smooth brown undated pre-Republic Peterson Shamrock 263 Canadian with a nickel band and a tapered black p-lip stem.

Gosh, Jim. Seems like you've been on a bit of a "roll" .... a "Canadian roll".
This gets my attention due to the emotional connection I have for Canadians, harkening back to my Grandfather.
The Canadian/ Lumberman/ Liverpool shapes are among my favorites. They are easy to clench, and stay out of my line of sight when I'm drawing.

mpjetset

Starting to Get Obsessed
I can never remember what's in my pouch before hand.

View attachment 320568

It's Pegasus. Definetly Pegasus. Mmmmm
Hi, I have claw-egg Meerschaums like yours. The shank and claws caramelize well, but never the egg, so I assume it's by design. Maybe the egg is African while the base is Turk? Or different curing to acheive the effect? Do you know? TIA!

dottlejockey

Part of the Furniture Now
My home blend BVP in an HS Studio pipe for the morning drive. I'm driving a Jeep and got "ducked" at Winn-Dixie in Melrose while finishing a cigar in the parking lot before going in to grab wings for lunch. Had a fun talk with the friendly bestower about the phenomena. Never heard of Jeep Ducking until then. Now i know! Have to pass it along before i head back north. :)

HSPS Hosshold BVP ducked.JPG