PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Cracked open today for June 1st, the first time to try this blend, Germain’s B.K. Flake in a Radice Rind Straight.

This is the 4th Germain’s line not including the Esoterica line I’ve smoked.

Upon opening the tin, it had that distinct musty fermented apricot Esoterica smell, but fainter, like a lighter Dunbar or Tilbury, which I didn’t smell in the other 3 Germain’s blends I smoked, and I assumed this casing was only an Esoterica style.

Next, the tin says Broken Flake, but it was a slightly thicker ribbon cut, hmm odd. C&D CRF is a broken flake, I don’t get why this wasn’t. 🤔

I’ve only had a few puffs, so I’m still trying to figure it out. It’s quite a light blend, so I’m not sure ‘Full’ should be used to describe blends that are light. Occasionally it borders on being Medium, but for now, it seems quite light.

It had the occasional faint apricot going on for the first quarter, not sure if it’s still there, as I’ve only smoked 1/4 a bowl, and a very light Kentucky VA to it, actually hard for me to distinguish.

It sits somewhere in the middle of Brighton and Tilbury, because Dorchester and Dunbar are fuller than this is.

Related to other blends In terms of Full, this sits closer to Sir John’s Flake, Solani 633 and hamborger Veermaster, but do we call these blends Full like SG FVF? hmm 🤔

To me, this is like saying SWR, or the last release of 2022 C&D CRF are full. Now SG FVF, and Wessex Campaign Dark Flake, these are full.

Be well everyone! ❤️

619EE487-CAB1-4BFF-87E6-25836494938E.jpeg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Relaxing after a wonderful salad, chicken legs and green beans dinner with strawberries for dessert. I'm not far from finishing this bowl of year 2015 Mac Baren Virginia #1 in a pre-1923 smooth dark brown early Comoy’s Prior (Gros, Grenier, Ostero & Cie.) pot with a black vulcanite saddle stem. Community Coffee, neat, is my drink. Going to do an all Comoy's evening so I thought I'd start with one that's a hundred years old, and should smoke more often.
Prior_pot.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Now smoking 1980s Von Eicken’s Dark Flake Navy Cut in a smooth dark brown post-WWII Comoy’s Grand Slam 340 patent billiard with a tapered black vulcanite stem. I have another Grand Slam that I haven't smoked yet. Maybe I'll figure out what genre to dedicate it to.
Comoy's_Grand Slam_340billard.jpg

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
Whimsical in my MarTelo billiard.

DA81356-A-7-A95-47-BA-92-F2-04-BC727-A85-FF.png

Status
Not open for further replies.