PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Relaxing after a wonderful salad, chicken legs and sugar snap peas dinner with strawberries for dessert. I'm just finishing this bowl of C&D Eight State Burley (Small Batch 2024) in a 1960s Austrian meerschaum bent apple with a tapered yellow stem. Watching the Red Sox-Yankees game, and writing a review of the blend I was smoking.
Austrian_meer_apple.jpg

Sandblast

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2023
Mendota Heights, Dakota Country, MN
Relaxing by the pool on this beautiful summer morning. Dipped into my stash of restored estate pipes I had planned on selling one day and pulled out this Republic era K&P Peterson’s 314 system pipe. Perfect smaller pipe for the morning. 2010 Presbyterian as the inaugural.

View attachment 321997
FWIW .... as a longtime enthusiast of Peterson Systems, I'd (unsolicited) heartily endorse your keeping that 314. Lots of "pluses" to it, of course being a system, but also it fits perfectly the niche of satisfying whenever the need for a smaller pipe. My 303 works there, and (sort of) my 301 .... I don't have a 314.

Last edited:

Sandblast

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2023
Mendota Heights, Dakota Country, MN
Looking forward to popping a tin I’ve got.
Currently waiting for an opportune time to take the midget outside and smoke this Pete Sportsman 87 loaded up with Odds and Ends, currently heavy on the 5Bros.View attachment 322015
I like how you frequently mention your "Odds and Ends". It inspires me to dip a little more often into my jar of "Odds & Ends" -- unlike some others who felt their "Odds & Ends" ended up nearly a disaster, almost unpalatable, I love mine. Feel it's the equal, quality wise, of my tins & bulks, no less.

I see you made the cut (like I did) for the Red VA experiment coming up. Should be fun.

Re: your comment to my question about Matchlocks, Flintlocks & Caplocks (Percussion) .... I seem to recall reading that smoothbores were accurate to (maybe) about 100 yards, notwithstanding a Daniel Boone expert.
Rifling then gave accuracy to about 300 yards, round ball (?), Minie ball (?). NOTE: I'm giving this info off old memories. Not sure about Tom Selleck (Quigley) hitting a wooden bucket, standing, shooting offhand, at around 900 yards. I do recall reading about buffalo hunters or Army sharpshooters able to knock a foe off a horse with a 45-70 or a 45-90 at over 500 yards.

Last edited:

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
‘83 crop McCranie’s Red Ribbon in my Former paneled lovat.

IMG-1329.png

Status
Not open for further replies.