PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Enjoyed a tasty golden delicious apple, and have a third of a bowl left of year 2010 FVF in a straight smooth dark brown 1896 W.H. Newman, Ltd. billiard with a sterling silver band and a tapered yellow and orange stem with white swirls and an orific bit.
W.H. Newman_Cased_set.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Passing the quarter mark of this bowl of year 2020 Pfeifen Huber Virginia Golden Flake in a 1938 smooth straight brown patent Dunhill R 115 bowling ball apple with a tapered cumberland stem. Ice water and bergs is my drink. After Sleepy Suzy eats, I'll let Daisy the Feral Princess and Tomato the Brave in to eat. No Harry the Hairy or Abner the Eager. Sam the Scamp is snoozin' on top of the cat tree. Wish I could find a home for her. Next week, she goes back outside after having been inside since the scampers were born. I wonder how she'll handle that.
Dunhill_1938_bowling-Left.jpg
SamHeadHeld1.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Did some low calorie snacking, and have passed the quarter mark of this bowl of year 2012 Anniversary Kake in a smooth burgundy medium bend 1979 Chippendale (Charatan second) Rhodesian 49 with a black vulcanite saddle stem. Smokes as well as a first and worth the $19.95 I paid for it all those years ago. Reading baseball box scores.
Chippendale_(Charatan second)_Rhodesian 49.jpg

Sandblast

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2023
Mendota Heights, Dakota Country, MN
A timelapse of English Civil War match cord burning:
Got my clay pipe lit with a slow match at the Battle of Nantwich.
Hello King -- Did flintlock "technology" follow matchlocks? I believe that percussion caps evolved after flintlocks. And I'm thinking matchlocks were all smoothbores, no rifling. Not sure if flintlocks were exclusively smoothbores. Thinking rifling came in with percussion caps. In the evolution of weaponry, I think flintlocks were a huge upgrade for all uses .... hunting, warfare, etc. I'm also thinking flintlocks were much lighter than matchlocks.

Last edited:

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Hello King -- Did flintlock "technology" follow matchlocks? I believe that percussion caps evolved after flintlocks. And I'm thinking matchlocks were all smoothbores, no rifling. Not sure if flintlocks were exclusively smoothbores. Thinking rifling came in with percussion caps. In the evolution of weaponry, I think flintlocks were a huge upgrade for all uses .... hunting, warfare, etc. I'm also thinking flintlocks were much lighter than matchlocks.
Rifled bores preceded caplocks by quite a bit.
The day we are celebrating here in America was due for sure largely in part by that. The smooth bore Brown Bess used by George’s lads was far outranged by the rifles of the Continental Army.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Enjoyed a tasty golden delicious apple, and am smoking year 2014 Edgeworth Ready Rubbed Match in a very much appreciated 1979 brown, slight bend grain etched flat front Stanwell Rego 969-48 (09) with a black vulcanite saddle stem. I may end the day with this smoke.
Stanwell Rego 969-48 (09).jpg

Joe H

Might Stick Around
May 22, 2024
Alaska
Happy Fourth of July to our American members! I just finished up a late walk with the dog while listening to an impressive collection of illicit fireworks. It was blustery with a bit of rain so I chose my largest pipe and filled it only halfway for a bit of protection from the elements. The pipe is a Yorkshire Matched Grain and the tobacco was a Bond Street clone that Pipes & Cigar calls Bourbon Street. It was a very nice aromatic that provided a surprising amount of smoke given the windy conditions.Bond Street.jpg