PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Part way through this bowl of year 2010 Mac Baren Burley London Blend in a smooth medium bend 2011 Rinaldo Collection Fiammata Silver Line 7 Odea 04 flame grain bulldog with a silver band and a tortoise shell acrylic saddle stem.
Rinaldo Lithos YY bulldog.jpg

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
83 (sorry, I don't do celsius!) and humid calls for a vodka tonic and a bowl of Mac Baren Vanilla Cream in an Al Pascia meerschaum billiard. Up here in the mountains, it's only bad in July and August, fortunately. I'll be wearing flannel and smoking Burley London Blend and Match Balkan Sobranie before you know it. 8.9/10

Bird report: California scrub-jay, Steller's jay, American crow, House finch, Mountain chickadee, White-breasted nuthatch, Northern rough-winged swallow (I think!), Western kingbird, and Western bluebird.

View attachment 321442
Elegant pipe. The stem will match nicely when it starts to color.

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
‘83 crop Red Ribbon in my 1978 ODA Root Briar.

IMG-1317.png

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
I was planning on just smoking very light blends today after last night's 1792 wallop, but then a package arrived in the mail with some samples of Gawith Hoggarth Dark Bird's Eye and Kendal Kentucky, so here we go with Dark Bird's Eye in the Grabow Lark! 😅

IMG20240702200745~2.jpg

I immediately like Dark Bird's Eye way better than Kendal Dark! I thought Kendal Dark had a bit of a dusty dirty flavor to it, but there's none of that in Dark Bird's Eye. The main flavor I'm getting from this blend is, oddly enough, chocolate. There's no Lakeland essence here that I can tell, just chocolate and some exceptionally smooth dark fired Kentucky. There are bright Virginias in this blend as well, though the strong chocolate and Kentucky flavors seem to hide them from my tongue.

The most impressive aspect of this blend for me is that the retrohale is smooth as silk, without even the slightest bit of sinus irritation. Given that I felt satisfied enough to put the pipe down after 10 minutes of smoking I'm guessing the nicotine content here is quite high, which makes it rather shocking how incredibly smooth this blend is. You really wouldn't think it's as strong as it is.

I'll be looking forward to trying the Kendal Kentucky next, but I'm pretty darn happy with Dark Bird's Eye! I really like how easy to pack and light the shag cut tobacco is, and the ultra smooth chocolatey flavor is very pleasant! puffy

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Off to work with a bowl of year 2020 D&R VIP in a 2004 smooth long shank Trever Talbot Ligne Bretagne Faite en Bretagne 4/3 lumberman with a tapered black vulcanite stem. Community Coffee, neat, is my drink. Sam the Scamp is doing well after being spayed. Harry the Hairy gets neutered next week.
Trever_Talbot_LigneBretagne3:4_Lumberman.jpg