PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Capped off a very strange week that I'm relieved is now in the past with a bowl of Cult BRM in an Al Pascia meer and a Sam Smith lager. Much cooler than they said it'd be, high 70s in my shaded smoking area next to the house. Forgot how hard I can push this blend and still have no chance of tongue tingle. 8.6/10.

Bird report: Western bluebird, California scrub-jay, California towhee, House finch, Steller's jay, American crow, Vaux's swift, Oak titmouse, Hairy woodpecker, White-breasted nuthatch, and Mountain chickadee.

Okay, rant time with Servant King...avert your eyes! 😵‍💫

Rarely am I so deeply in thought during an especially long bowl as this (meer's got a pretty deep chamber, as you can see), but I was this time, chiefly due to the global IT problems. It's really just a symptom of a greater problem--this is what happens when you do away with common sense and put EVERYTHING (and I mean that word quite literally) in the hands of the AI. Every single freaking function of life from the global financial markets down to the weather report lying about the temperature here today by a large margin (14 degrees!) has become so utterly dependent on the AI, of course it stands to reason that something like this would happen! Which really just exposes how fragile the whole damn thing is, and it goes without saying that there's no way this is going to get anything other than worse. For a long time I've done my best to withdraw as much as possible from that whole system; I only use cash, I never use a cellphone unless I have to, and I NEVER do software updates on my computer unless I'm literally forced to. Look what happens when the AI decides it's time for another unnecessary "upgrade!" They've got themselves a 10010101011111011100100001010 pipe problem now...

Pessimism is merely the calling card of a denialist, so I don't even wanna hear it! Happy weekend all.

View attachment 325028
F****ng A brother!
….and that’s a beautiful meer.

khiddy

Might Stick Around
I had a bowl of Sutliff #502 Medium English in a Falcon affixed with a block meerschaum bowl. I can't say that this pouch has produced any good smokes yet; I get a sour bitterness that isn't terribly appealing or tasty, though so far I've only tried it in this particular pipe, and for the next smoke I should break out the cob to give the blend a fair shake. I think I'll head out right now to do just that!

IMG_8517.jpg

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Capped off a very strange week that I'm relieved is now in the past with a bowl of Cult BRM in an Al Pascia meer and a Sam Smith lager. Much cooler than they said it'd be, high 70s in my shaded smoking area next to the house. Forgot how hard I can push this blend and still have no chance of tongue tingle. 8.6/10.

Bird report: Western bluebird, California scrub-jay, California towhee, House finch, Steller's jay, American crow, Vaux's swift, Oak titmouse, Hairy woodpecker, White-breasted nuthatch, and Mountain chickadee.

Okay, rant time with Servant King...avert your eyes! 😵‍💫

Rarely am I so deeply in thought during an especially long bowl as this (meer's got a pretty deep chamber, as you can see), but I was this time, chiefly due to the global IT problems. It's really just a symptom of a greater problem--this is what happens when you do away with common sense and put EVERYTHING (and I mean that word quite literally) in the hands of the AI. Every single freaking function of life from the global financial markets down to the weather report lying about the temperature here today by a large margin (14 degrees!) has become so utterly dependent on the AI, of course it stands to reason that something like this would happen! Which really just exposes how fragile the whole damn thing is, and it goes without saying that there's no way this is going to get anything other than worse. For a long time I've done my best to withdraw as much as possible from that whole system; I only use cash, I never use a cellphone unless I have to, and I NEVER do software updates on my computer unless I'm literally forced to. Look what happens when the AI decides it's time for another unnecessary "upgrade!" They've got themselves a 10010101011111011100100001010 pipe problem now...

Pessimism is merely the calling card of a denialist, so I don't even wanna hear it! Happy weekend all.

View attachment 325028
That is not a rant brother, that's the truth and I'm right there with ya.

Sandblast

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2023
Mendota Heights, Dakota Country, MN
I also just finished my last tin of Mclelland ever... (Oriental no#14 from '03)...
I have some older tins that should probably get cracked, And So To Bed.... Nightcap.
I was trying to discern its contours and edges."
... its contours and edges" (?) --- what an absolutely awesome phrase (!!!)
By the way, I still have some McClelland Oriental #14, from about '05 or '06. If interested, I'd be open to trading some samples of it for And So To Bed.

khiddy

Might Stick Around
I had a bowl of Sutliff #502 Medium English in a Falcon affixed with a block meerschaum bowl. I can't say that this pouch has produced any good smokes yet; I get a sour bitterness that isn't terribly appealing or tasty, though so far I've only tried it in this particular pipe, and for the next smoke I should break out the cob to give the blend a fair shake. I think I'll head out right now to do just that!

View attachment 325041
Okay, having now finished a bowl of Sutliff #502 Medium English smoked for the first time in the pictured MM Morgan, I can say that it appears that this blend does not present well in my Falcon Meerschaum. In the cob it was much more pleasant, giving the latakia-smoky & lightly soapy notes (both in room note and flavor) that I expect from English blends, rather than the sour, bitter, almost acrid aromas/flavors that I was getting in the Falcon.

I wouldn't say it's a great blend, but at least it was much better this time around than the previous two times I'd smoked it. Next time I'll try it in a briar.