PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

EA/DC

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 19, 2023
the Netherlands
Morning everyone, I started again with Le Petit Robin which I’m still figuring out, it’s got quite a cigarette taste to it and I’m wondering if the fine cut is for that purpose even though it says it’s a pipe tobacco, I rolled some in a paper (I’ve not smoked ryo’s for 3 1/2 years) and it certainly seems that way. A little Kentucky would kick this up a notch imo, I might use it for blending.
Anyhoo I’m back on the pipe with Mac B Symphony in a Heritage Antique, an excellent blend with coffee. View attachment 235511

I know that 7 to 8 decades ago it wasn't unusual when people filled a bowl with shag cigarette tobacco here in Holland. In Belgium that must have been the same.
The "Drum" ryo cigarette tobacco from today is still good enough for that I think. But I must say I have never tried that in my 30 years of smoking pipes.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
I know that 7 to 8 decades ago it wasn't strange at all when people filled a bowl with shag cigarette tobacco here in Holland.
The "Drum" ryo cigarette tobacco from today is still good enough for that I think. But I must say I have never tried that in my 30 years of smoking pipes.
Dutch shag is definitely the best ryo tobacco, I smoked Samson for 30 years until they stopped selling it here in the UK for some reason. Nothing else appealed to me and I decided to just stick to the pipe after that. I never tried Samson in my pipe mind you.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
Ok you got me curious about this tobacco, some Belgian Burley? I also love shag cut just for ease of packing and lighting.
Semois is a curious leaf, you have to pack it very tight because it shrinks a great deal. I have a jar of La Volute which is much coarser and it definitely benefits from a little age. I also have a theory that Vincent Manil is actually Geoff Lynn from ELO minus the ubiquitous sunglasses 😬image.jpg

EA/DC

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 19, 2023
the Netherlands
Dutch shag is definitely the best ryo tobacco, I smoked Samson for 30 years until they stopped selling it here in the UK for some reason. Nothing else appealed to me and I decided to just stick to the pipe after that. I never tried Samson in my pipe mind you.
I used to smoke Samson shag 30 years ago but after a while I found Drum to be a better blend. I should buy a pack of Samson today to see how it is now, if it is still available here. I do not know actually.
Tobacco is nowadays hidden behind blinded doors in stores here. Even in tobaccostores! Tobacco is doomed here in Holland. One can buy 'grass' etc. at every streetcorner but tobacco....

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
I used to smoke Samson shag 30 years ago but after a while I found Drum to be a better blend. I should buy a pack of Samson today to see how it is now, if it is still available here. I do not know actually.
Tobacco is nowadays stored behind blinded doors in stores here. Even in tobaccostores! Tobacco is doomed here in Holland. One can buy 'grass' etc. at every streetcorner but tobacco....
It’s the same here, another example of the Nanny State sticking it’s nose where it doesn’t belong. And don’t get me started on the hideous cow pat coloured packaging plastered with photos of tumours and black lungs.
Fine for everyone to drink or eat themselves to death though….

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Crazy how brand new that pipe looks! Lovely.
Yeah this is one of those great eBay finds that you always hear about but rarely see anymore.

It was from a Seller that doesn't specialize in pipes but will occasionally have a couple. Usually cheaper American types, but maybe two years ago he had a couple nice Dunhills.
The pics weren't great but I could tell it was in good shape, only some light oxidation on the stem. When he gave me the measurements I was all in.
Think I paid $105 after shipping and tax.
The oxidation cleaned right off and there was barely any cake in the bowl. Whoever owned it originally didn't smoke it too much.
The icing on the cake is that it's a phenomenal smoker. Light, comfortable and easy on the eyes.

I landed my '78 Dead Root B in Similar fashion.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Almost a third of the way through this bowl of early 2000s Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 2014 Basil Meadows smooth slight bend squashed tomato with an aluminum band and a black pearl acrylic stem in the military mount style. Ice water and bergs is my drink. Watching Mad Dog Russo.
Basil_squashed_ tomato copy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.