PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Relaxing after a wonderful salad, chicken legs and green beans dinner with strawberries for dessert. I'm not far from finishing this bowl of year 2013 Rotary Navy Cut in a post-1938 Pre-Republic Peterson Dublin straight smooth X155 bulldog with a sterling silver band and a tapered black vulcanite p-lip stem. Nigel Bruce smoked this model in two Sherlock Holmes movies. Please consider asking Smoking Pipes to bring back this model. Gold Star Hawaiian Kona Extra Fancy is my drink.
Peterson_PR_Bulldog_XL155.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
What is that blend like?
Here's my review of EGR:

The smell from a freshly opened tub or tin is entrancing. The nutty, earthy, woody burley also has a touch of molasses as the lead component. The gold Virginia cavendish provides some grass, tart and tangy citrus and few drops of honey as a secondary player. The brown sugary unsweetened black cavendish is a condiment, and has a tinge of vanilla, too. The smoky, woody, earthy sweet Cyprian Latakia isn’t very detectable being only one percent of the blend, but it’s just enough to add nuance to the flavor. I also observe a little fruity plum as well as a red wine topping. There's also a couple pinches of cinnamon present. The strength and nic-hit are a step past the mild mark, while the taste is almost at the center of mild to medium. I’ve never experienced any bite, though I know a few people have. I puff it a little on the slow side for best effect, and I recommend that pace. Has no harshness or rough edges. Burns cool, clean and even at a reasonable rate with avery consistent flavor from top to bottom. Leaves just a little dampness in the bowl. Requires few relights. Has a pleasant, short lived after taste, and room note. An all day mildly aromatic smoke.

This product has outlived Robinson (who supervised its creation) by many years, and has never been out of production. For those who remember him, it’s a trip down memory lane. For those who don’t know much about what a great actor Robinson was, it’s a chance to acquaint one’s self with a venerable blend and perhaps the man himself to some degree.

9-1-2013 Edit: The 1950s EGR was produced by the Greenfield & Winther company, who originated the blend. It was interesting to discover the taste of the new blend is close to the old, except the newer was slightly sweeter, and the spice note from the cinnamon was just a little more obvious in the older version. The Greenfield & Winther production was a little stronger as well.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Half way through this bowl of Wilke No. 72 in a pre-1974 dark brown straight Larus & Brother Co. Signature billiard with a nickel band and a tapered black vulcanite stem with the initials LCR on the top of the stem. This blend was smoked by Walter Cronkite. Working and listening to the Angels-Rangers game on the XM.
Larus and Brother pot.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.