PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmcg81

Lifer
May 8, 2020
NJ
First ever bowl of C & D Carolina Red Flake with Perique (2020). I have it in a Kaywoodie billiard. It packed beautifully, and is smoking nearly perfectly. Only problem is I can't really taste anything. I burned my tongue pretty bad eating dinner last night and I'm starting to think that smoking isn't helping anything.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Maiden voyage with a Radice Hawkbill and some KBV Burley Morning Pipe. This is my first Radice and I am really enjoying it.

I was a little nervous as this is my first pipe with an uncoated bowl but the first smoke was great.

View attachment 154491

As it’s been said before, you can smoke anything you want in a pipe.

But there seems to be a consensus that VAs in new pipes, especially uncoated is the best way to go, as VAs, seem to build carbon rather quickly/nicley.

On my own personal opinions and those of even Jose Rubio, you can get small cracks in an uncoated chamber if you smoke it to fast/hot, so go like an old lady, sipping very slow and easy, barely getting the pipe warm, until you can see a slight black carbon coat forming, and not just the chamber looking black, but actual sticky carbon.

Be sure to wipe out the chamber after smoking with a paper towel to keep the carbon nice and thin, it’s good to always wipe all pipes out like this after smoking.

Enjoy ?

P.S. Radice’s are great pipes, here’s mine. :)

76375ED4-1B2C-405F-943F-E5312DB16949.jpeg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Did a second set of walking reps, and smoked a bowl of year 2015 D&R A.B. Rimboche in an undated slight bend, smooth flame grain Wessex Standard egg with a brown accent on the black vulcanite saddle stem. Watching the Braves-Reds game.
Wessex_bent.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Now smoking a bowl from a freshly opened tin of Missouri Meerschaum Company Independence Day 2022 Special Edition in a 1975 medium bend sandblasted looking, smooth on the sides yellow Pioneer meer billiard with a black ferrule and vulcanite stem in the military mount style. Working on a review of this blend.
Pioneer meer billiard .jpg

mav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 14, 2021
Chicago
As it’s been said before, you can smoke anything you want in a pipe.

But there seems to be a consensus that VAs in new pipes, especially uncoated is the best way to go, as VAs, seem to build carbon rather quickly/nicley.

On my own personal opinions and those of even Jose Rubio, you can get small cracks in an uncoated chamber if you smoke it to fast/hot, so go like an old lady, sipping very slow and easy, barely getting the pipe warm, until you can see a slight black carbon coat forming, and not just the chamber looking black, but actual sticky carbon.

Be sure to wipe out the chamber after smoking with a paper towel to keep the carbon nice and thin, it’s good to always wipe all pipes out like this after smoking.

Enjoy ?

P.S. Radice’s are great pipes, here’s mine. :)

View attachment 154612
Awesome, thank you for that!

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Smoking more Bijou from my 1952 Bruce Peters while I grind some blends I've neglected for some time now.
View attachment 154575

Hmm don’t recall Bruce Peters... ?

Maybe time to drive Lee under the bus? ? LOL rotf

And time for some new talk... :)

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Now smoking Cobblestone Hiking (Outdoors) in a straight black 1981 Ascorti Business Billiard military mount with a tapered pearl gray acrylic stem. Looking to finish the review with this smoke. Have enough for one more bowl.
Ascorti_Business_Billiard.jpg

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Now smoking Cobblestone Hiking (Outdoors) in a straight black 1981 Ascorti Business Billiard military mount with a tapered pearl gray acrylic stem. Looking to finish the review with this smoke. Have enough for one more bowl.
View attachment 154630
I love the Hiking from Cobblestone. Doesn't get mentioned very often, which I guess is good for those of us who like it. Looking forward to your review

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
2008 SG Full Virginia Flake in a MM This stuff is a cross between clay and black leather. Took forever to dry out. That’s my first try at a pipe holder ? View attachment 154621

I have a 2102 tin, clay and leather, something isn’t right. Remember, all pipes don’t always bring out the best in tabac.

I get raisin/plum, grass, floral, bread, slight pepper at times.

For me the bread and floral are quite strong, the floral notes are what really keeps me going with FVF, it’s quite a wonderful taste.

I have Cobs, I won’t put them down, people love them, I think they have their place, each to his own. But I’d never smoke a fine aged blend in a Cob like FVF.

FVF is one of the finest VAs out there, my 2 cents worth, it deserves to be smoked in our finest pipes. ❤️

062E167B-7A12-420C-B746-5166AFEF2CF3.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.