PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Family returned to Melbourne this morning so empty nest again.

I've picked a pair of French hallmarked GBDs for today's smokes. Being French, there is no date letter.
The first is this handsome straight billiard with a tapered stem and orific bit.

With a bowl of Sam Gawith's Golden Glow Broken Virginia Flakes. Came already rubbed out into ribbons in the tin

image.jpegimage.jpeg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Enjoyed a tasty Jazz apple, and am off to work with a bowl of D&R Raccoon’s Friend in a pre-1980s straight dark brown Comoy's Sandblast 186 billiard with a tapered black vulcanite stem. Ice water and bergs is my drink the rest of the night. Listening to The Saint on the XM.
Comoy's_Sandblast 186 billiard.jpg

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
match CH in a Ropp at the end of the work week
View attachment 192737
Does your J07 have a super open draw? From the looks of the sandblast on yours it’s part of the newer releases. The j07 I have was originally drilled to accommodate a stinger so the draw is super open. The j22 and j03 I have weren’t originally drilled for a stinger and the draw is a bit tighter, which I actually prefer.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
If I order a pound of baccy I'd probably smoke too much & more than is healthy...
I'm worried about running out at an event but don't like paying UK prices for pipe baccy!
I don't know whether to buy a pound of bulk C&D or Stokkebye blends or just get some loose Gawith Hoggarth, enough for the event days.
I've been recommended to smoke twist or plug at re-enactments for an authentic 17th / 18th century smoke.
I'd like to save £20 or more a week but feel if I've got baccy at home I'd smoke it all before the re-enactments I'd bought it for...
Looking forward to seeing Redcoats & Revolutionaries and the Pirate Mutiny this year, got some more volunteer days this week.
Keeping up the good 👍 work!
Thinking of giving up the pipe for Lent so leaving my pipe baccy sealed and not buying any more during March and April...
I've seen an armchair I'd like for the Great Hall but it's £3500 full price & over £2000 in the sale. Might keep the one I've got now it's covered with a fake sheepskin throw...
Not buying anything new this month, going to save the money 💰...
Got a free bottle of beer 🍻 and a free pint this week!

BlueRidge

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2022
Does your J07 have a super open draw? From the looks of the sandblast on yours it’s part of the newer releases. The j07 I have was originally drilled to accommodate a stinger so the draw is super open. The j22 and j03 I have weren’t originally drilled for a stinger and the draw is a bit tighter, which I actually prefer.
it is a newer pipe and the draw is fairly open. i have a few of them and the draw is similar for each. i'm a fan

slowhand

Lurker
Jan 2, 2023
KBV Byronic Slices in a Hardcastle Jack O’London straight billiard. A glass of Bertoux brandy is within easy reach.

Daughter is making her solo flight tomorrow and all I can do is watch. Not much sleep for the both of us tonight I suspect.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Busy day. Much earlier, I had a 50/50 mix of C&D Bright Virginia and White Burley in my Dr Grabow Omega, to see if it resembled or brought back any memories of the Half&Half I had smoked in college.

45274E01-3E7E-445A-BDAA-7E3909D28E89.jpeg

It started of kind of underwhelming, as if the burley was just diluting the Virginia. But after a while, it took on a pleasant toasted-wheat kind of flavor.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Busy day. Much earlier, I had a 50/50 mix of C&D Bright Virginia and White Burley in my Dr Grabow Omega, to see if it resembled or brought back any memories of the Half&Half I had smoked in college.

View attachment 192748

It started of kind of underwhelming, as if the burley was just diluting the Virginia. But after a while, it took on a pleasant toasted-wheat kind of flavor.
@ThermionicScott I enjoyed the Bright Virginia in my clay pipes; I'll have to get some more when I order from Smokingpipes again; it's cheap enough, it's a nice tasting baccy and it has the golden shine the Clay King admires:)

Status
Not open for further replies.