PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Enjoyed a tasty envy apple, and am almost half way through this bowl of year 2010 Kramer’s Blend For Cary Grant in an undated unbranded straight black sandblasted short shank billiard with a long black vulcanite tapered stem. Getting ready to listen to the John Brandt interview about Wilke blends.
Unbranded_French_billiard.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Almost finished smoking Wilke Lizzie Blood Virginia in a straight black with burgundy undertone sandblasted early 1960s Lane era Charatan 420 billiard with a tapered black vulcanite stem. I may have a really short smoke next.
Charatan_billiard_420.jpg

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
How is it? My local shop sells it, it's in my list of tobaccos to try

I'll put up a few pictures in the morning to illustrate my point. None of my pipes ever turn that 'golden yellow color' since the norm is what I call that pleasing sh*t brown color. This one pipe is just perplexing as it is turning yellow but the heal is turning the expected ash color. It is a pure meerschaum circa late 19th/early 20th century and my tobacco tastes are in keeping with the age of the pipe. For that statement read my tastes in tobacco have not changed in 100 years as they run fairly uniformly through my family from the 1880s till today. If you ran into another member of the 'Condor Clan' due to unexplained time travel you would probably get told a fruity joke and then offered a block of nasty tobacco by way of an introduction followed by a snifter of something undrinkable like rum or bad scotch.

Well I will return to this issue in the morning as it is time for me to hit the bunk. Good night Men and I will see you in the morning if the 'big fella' upstairs says it is in my future. Enjoy your evening!
My father used to talk about "the man upstairs" when I was a little boy and had no idea what he was talking about...LOL!!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Good Morning! After my lengthy and vaguely odd post about my 'pipe from hell' last night I thought I would take the opportunity to post a few illustrations of what I am talking about. I also thought it might also give you a good idea about what I mean when I speak of 'Sh*t Brown' coloring on meerschaum stems. You have all seen the group photograph of my monthly 'cutty' rotation from about 5 or 6 years ago. You will be able to compare the colors on these pipes from 5 or 6 years ago verses the color today. As an after thought I am smoking a bowl of Best Brown No:2 in a early 20th century meerschaum 'cutty' pipe.

thumbnail-2.jpeg
thumbnail-3.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.