PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Just stating a bowl of Bayou Nights, tastes good in the pipe. Oddly enough, and perhaps my taste buds are off track tonight--but it smelled like vomit in the jar. My wife even said, "That smells bad," when I asked her to give it a "smell check." Why I would smoke it after the whiff from the jar says more about me than I want to know!
laughing and puffing away (err...sipping away!)
mike
Is it like this........?? Costellation C&D It`s a very cigarette in room smell strong............

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
Late 19th-early 20th cent. with CM surmounted by a crown stamped on the shank plus swirls and a simplified version of the crest of Oran carved on the bowl face
FINEST LONDON MOUNT stamped on the plated ferrule

(CM: Charles Leopold Maas trading as Charles Maas & Co. was active in London from 1883 at 13, Jewin Crescent, EC as manufacturer and importer of smokers' pipes of various types, including rare and exotic and meerschaum, sometime in partnership with Marcus Maas, originally identified with that of Maas Brothers - Leopold Maas, Sigismund Maas and Bernard Maas - of Wood Street Square, City, London and Heumuhlgasse, Vienna. The partnership - manufacturers and importers of pipes - was dissolved on the 31st January 1888.
Charles Maas & Co. entered their marks - 'CM' incuse and without outline, 'CM' incuse and contained within an oval, and 'CM' incuse and contained within an oval beneath a crown.
These marks were entered a total of 22 times with the London Assay Office between the years 1883 and 1914.
A further set of marks noted was 'CM' above 'MM' incuse and without outline, denoting the partnership of Charles Maas and Marcus Maas, that was registered with the LAO on the 24th September 1890.
The firm's marks containing the crown were cancelled at the request of the Sheffield Assay Office on the 28th February 1896.
Charles Maas & Co. also entered their marks 'CM' incuse and without outline, 'CM' incuse and contained within an oval, with the Chester Assay Office.
C. Maas & Co. were converted into a limited liability company styled C. Maas & Co. Ltd. in c.1915
)

+ Dunhill 221B BAKER STREET:-
View attachment 61424
View attachment 61425

Watching SCHOOL FOR SCOUNDRELS
Everything I’ve read says CM registered hallmarks at London, Chester and Sheffield but mine and most others I’ve seen (mainly on eBay) have the Birmingham anchor. Mine is a ‘09. Great movie by the way, Terry Thomas was an incredibly generous chap, not at all the cad he portrayed in the movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.