PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
Did you form an opinion on prep and packing method? "Asking for a friend" ?

This may sound weird, but I had very good experiences with cube cutting and then heavily squashing those cubes with a heavy, dull object, so that they get flat and break up a little more. These flattened cubes then were dried to bonedryness.

Another successful smoke was achieved by running the flakes through a food processor for a view seconds + drying.

Both of the times, the tobaccos was very very dry and packed extremely loose.

I hope this may help your friend out a little.

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
Haven't been able to smoke the past few days, as I have a bit of a throat. I don't know about you folk, but when I can't smoke 'em, I like to sniff 'em. I sniffed some of my open tins of Latakia blends, finishing with a hit off my remaining ounce or so of 1960s BS 759, in a cutter-top tin. Aah. Is that weird?

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
I think a few drinks triggered this departure from Virginia based blends and I'm having my once-per-two-month dose of Latakia. Stokkebye Oriental Supreme in my Latakia only pipe that gets utterly neglected-- a frankly crappy, scorching hot Georg Jensen bent brandy nosewarmer. I recommend giving this a try if you enjoy oriental forward, mellow, light on the latakia blends that have that smoothness that only comes with the addition of cavendish. If you prefer stout blends however, it's not worth it because this is as mellow as latakia gets.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Not smoking it yet (will save for tonight after a good drying), this is the Samuel Gawith 2003 Balkan Flake, it is very moist, has the consistency of play dough, and has some plume. The smell is out of this world, musty, pungent, sweet, spicy, and smoky, in this order. I'll change the jar, this one's too big but I wanted to remove odours from an appropriate-sized jar before putting this gold in. My wife who hates the smell of Latakia but has the nose of a bloodhound said "this has many layers of smell, I can see why you like it".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.