PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

virkia

Lifer
Jan 30, 2020
Thanks, organizing makes it easier to find what I want. The hangers are just the Amazon Basics flipped upside down and bent to the correct angles with some pliers. The shelves I built myself to fit between the studs. I'm in the process of building more racks at the moment.
View attachment 112779
Another way to do it would be to re-purpose a bookcase and fill it with Decatur Industries or other pipe racks which if nothing else cuts down on time spent dusting ...
20211206_172719.jpg

Last edited:

virkia

Lifer
Jan 30, 2020
I'm a big fan of Jeremy Brett's interpretation of the famous sleuth who often smoked various churchwarden pipes so it's a shape that I would like to acquire at some point.
Yes, big fan too
Regarding the churchwarden he smoked in the series: information courtesy Pipedia
"Steve Waddell a highly respected pipe maker from Marion, IOWA, is now retired for health reasons. He made good freehands as well as exotic and sculpted pipes. Steve won various prizes at USA pipe shows, with the highlights being "Best Pipe Maker" at the Chicago Pipe Collector's Exhibition 1986, and "Most Unique Pipe", at the Pipe Collectors International 1987, and in 1981, was awarded the Certificate of Merit by the Confrérîe des Maîtres-Pipers de Saint-Claude.
In 1989 he made a churchwarden, which the actor Jeremy Brett used in the Granada Television series Sherlock Holmes, and which had been commissioned through the Pipesmoker's Council, England. He worked with Greek briar and signed some pipes."

Regarding bent pipes - a shape we now associate with the character more than any other - we can 'blame' William Gillette for starting the fashion which was for entirely practical reasons.
Gillette played Holmes on stage and in a 1916 silent movie thought lost until found in 2014
20211206_191525.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.