PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Yes, I can't imagine anyone - young or old - not being a fan of the Sherlock Holmes stories ...

As for pipe brands mentioned in the stories the author was unfortunately light on details and I think only ADP (Adolph David Posener) got a mention in The Adventure of Silver Blaze, "There was a box of vestas, two inches of tallow candle, an A.D.P. briar-root pipe, a pouch of sealskin with half an ounce of long-cut cavendish,..."
No mention of the other top brands of the day such as BBB, Barling, GBD etc.

If you're aiming for accuracy - i.e. based on the famous Sidney Paget illustrations - there's the long-stemmed cherrywood pipe ...
In “The Adventure of the Copper Beeches.” Holmes and Watson are discussing the latter’s chronicling of their adventures: “You have erred, perhaps,” he [Holmes] observed, taking up a glowing cinder with the tongs and lighting with it the long cherry-wood pipe which was wont to replace his clay when he was in a disputatious rather than a meditative mood….”
View attachment 112592

... the black or blackened-through-use clay ...
In “The Red-Headed League,” Watson describes a contemplative Holmes: “… there he sat with his eyes closed and his black clay pipe thrusting out like the bill of some strange bird.
View attachment 112586

... or a straight briar, sometimes with a mount
In “The Man With The Twisted Lip,” Watson recalls, “In the dim light of the lamp I saw him sitting there, an old briar pipe between his lips, his eyes fixed vacantly upon the corner of the ceiling, the blue smoke curling up from him….”
View attachment 112590View attachment 112593

View attachment 112598
@virkia I like the black clay pipe; I've never had a black one!
That quote about lighting the pipe with ember tongs reminds me of the blacksmith lighting my clay pipe with an ember from his forge!

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
Hi guys, I started the day finishing off a bowl (lizard Longchamp) of Pegasus from last night with a double espresso.
After seeing Jim’s earlier post regarding the magazine article I decided to get the EGR off the shelf, I brought it a couple of months ago and to be honest I wasn’t terribly keen. However, two months in the jar has done wonders and I’m thoroughly enjoying it in a BC Ventose.
Kudos for keeping this blend alive Jim. image.jpg

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
@Swede74 Do you like or hate the Swedish ice cream truck jingle???
I really hated the Hemglass jingle when they briefly operated in the UK in the 80s-90s; it didn't sound anything like the traditional British ice-cream van's.
I think they were ahead of their time as this was before supermarket home deliveries started. I get my frozen food and ice-cream delivered from Iceland - I think they should have taken over the depots and employees of Hemglass (from Sweden) and Eismann (from Germany) when they pulled out of the UK, to secure their jobs as well as expanding their own operations.
A serious & pertinent question Dan.......one of your better posts, it must be said! Lol
Ice Cream Van Jingles? Yeah, we love it!!
image.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.