PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

virkia

Lifer
Jan 30, 2020
To misquote Monty Python "And now for something a bit different".
There was a time when the enormous choices of today in the area of different pipe shapes, what pipes are made of and bowl sizes was limited to just one shape and one material - clay.

The smaller than usual bowl size and thinner than usual shank and stem of the pipe I posted above - compared to most other briars I've seen of that period - makes me thing of a pipe more suited for a woman but compared to early clay pipes it's a big bowl.

In the time of James I (1566-1625) tobacco was brutally expensive. He's the one that initiated probably the first 'tax for health reasons' and raised tobacco tax 40-fold from 2 to 82 pence per pound, making tobacco more expensive than silver with the result that the bowls were really small compared to even fifty years later.

Below are two examples of excavated clays from that period - one without a maker's initials or trademark (not unusual for that period when less than 10% of pipes were stamped with either) - and the other with a maker's mark:-
1) Circa 1600-1610 - a previous owner in the middle of the 19th cent. has thoughtfully had the clay mounted with a horn stem.
2) Circa 1580-1590 - Incuse W.B (William Batchelor 1580-1620 / 1619-1635) on the underside of the heel.
20201204_151618.jpg

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Good old Cosmic mixture in a silver straight stem Falcon with a sandblast meerschaum lined Istanbul bowl praying some mod will kill that damned “ San FrancIsco banned....” thread. It seems to hit too many sensitive spots among the members. Coffee with a big slug of bourbon is my drink. Whew!

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
The nearly dustified end of my 2nd to last tin of Drew Estate's Central Park Stroll, by way of my Savinelli Mattone 601 bent billiard. Really miss their blends. :( Oh well, onward to stuff better suited for colder weather. Got some C&D burley blends in the queue, Adagio and Canal Boat. Leaning towards the latter.
Careful, somebody is liable to claim a stroll in MacArthur Park is far better than a stroll in Central Park!

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Glorious CONDOR RR in a Meer...
zBIFCvC.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.