PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

khiddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
I’ve been on a family road trip since last Tuesday, and brought a pouch of Sutliff Medium English and a jarred tin of Peterson Sherlock Holmes, along with a large-bowled army mount and a basket pipe, both of which I knew could handle the rough treatment of travel.

I mentioned in another thread that this trip included a pilgrimage stop at the Missouri Meerschaum factory in Washington, MO, where I bought a few new pipes and some tins of tobacco, though I haven’t opened any of the new tins as I didn’t have a way to jar up the contents once opened. I have broken in a new MM General, though, and it has smoked like a champ from the get-go.

The Sherlock Holmes has been my go-to blend on most of my smokes this past week. I’ve had the opportunity to give it a good bit of drying time before smoking and it has been absolutely wonderful, flavorful (love the apricot/plum notes) and absolutely no tongue bite though I’ve smoked it almost crispy dry on a few occasions. I’m so glad I stocked up via cigarbid and have like 15 tins at home to enjoy for the next few years.

Attachments

• IMG_8590.jpeg
    IMG_8590.jpeg
    97.5 KB · Views: 2

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Half way through this bowl of2017 Watch City Deluxe Crumb Cut in a 2016 Peretti's M.T. Natural made in Holland straight smooth brown Algerian briar billiard with a tapered black acrylic stem. Going to feed the ferals after Sleepy Suzy and Molly Danger eat. Molly came out a hour or so ago to be with us. As John Lennon might have said, "She's getting better all the time."
M.T. Natural.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Enjoyed a little low calorie snacking, and am near the first third of this bowl of year 2014 Edgeworth Ready Rubbed Match in a very much appreciated 1979 brown, slight bend grain etched flat front Stanwell Rego 969-48 (09) with a black vulcanite saddle stem. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
Stanwell Rego 969-48 (09).jpg

Uguccione

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
Yesterday evening Amphora Regular in pipe "A. Alecci".
Just arrived this free-hand of unknown brand and paid very little. Judging by the crust it must have been smoked a dozen times (the seller, in the ad had written "smoked 1/2 times" 😄 but it doesn't change much).
There is a lot, a lot of briar around the combustion hole, and this (according to my theory NOT supported by any scientific evidence) smooths the edges of every tobacco.
It feels great in the hand, it completely fills the palm.
I found almost nothing on the internet about the author, only a statement from him on a forum where he says he worked for over 40 years at Barontini, where they made pipes for VAUEN and STANWEL and roughed out heads for PETERSON.
So maybe, every now and then, he enjoyed making something for himself.
The methacrylate mouthpiece has some manufacturing inaccuracies and the shank has some fillings. Too bad, he could have rusticated the shank (Savinelli does this with the Autographs) and it would have still been a beautiful pipe.

Attachments

• IMG_20240801_203110.jpg
    IMG_20240801_203110.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20240801_123139~2.jpg
    IMG_20240801_123139~2.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 10

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Enjoyed a tasty golden delicious apple, and smoked a bowl of Wilke No. 515 Double Shot in a smooth dark medium bend 2021 Peterson Heritage Brown POTY 4AB No. 45/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. This is No. 515 with twice the rum of the Basil Rathbone blend. Been enjoying quiet reading time.
4AB_Brown-left.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Emptied the dishwasher, enjoyed a small golden delicious apple, and my last smoke of the day is year 2020 Angler's Dream in a 1984 Stanwell Antique 124 egg with a smooth brown front and a black sandblasted back with a dark gold ferrule and black vulcanite stem in the military mount style. Fed all the ferals except for the absent Tomato the Brave. Daisy the Feral Princess didn't want to come inside, which is becoming more frequent. Not sure why, but she's happy outside so I fed her away from Harry the Hairy.
Stanwell_Antique_124.jpg

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
First bowl of the morning! Enjoying a 2022 Coniston Cut Plug in this meerschaum 'Cutty' pipe with hallmarked Birmingham 1900 silver band and later early 1920s replacement stem. The pipe is made by A.P and for the life of me I just cannot remember who those initials stood for but I am sure someone will helpfully chime in. Enjoy your morning and I will swing by later after coffee time.

thumbnail-3.jpeg