PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Smoked a bowl of Sutliff Pipe Force Episode 1 in a 1960s Austrian meerschaum bent apple with a tapered yellow acrylic stem. I was wearing my Edward G. Robinson t-shirt when m'lady and I were grocery shopping. The last store we went to had a very young security guard standing inside. He saw my shirt and shocked me by knowing who Robinson was. I asked his age and he said, "I'm twenty-six", and explained that he watches old movies with his grandfather. I told him about the EGR blend and my history regarding the blend, and he said he was just getting into pipe smoking, and was still learning. He owned a corn cob, which he didn't care for, and a metal pipe. I gave him a few tips, and said I'd give him a few pipe tobacco samples. I went home, unloaded the car, zip-locked four aros since he likes them, and drove back to the store. While he was thanking me, I pulled out a Made in France unsmoked zulu (some of you might have seen me smoked those French pipes when I work), and his eyes bulged out as his mouth dropped. I told him that he needed a briar, and gave him some info on briar care. I told him if he wanted to do me a favor, do one for somebody sometime. He smiled and said he would.

Now, it's dinner time.
Austrian_meer_apple.jpg

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row” Richmond Virginia USA
Smoked a bowl of Sutliff Pipe Force Episode 1 in a 1960s Austrian meerschaum bent apple with a tapered yellow acrylic stem. I was wearing my Edward G. Robinson t-shirt when m'lady and I were grocery shopping. The last store we went to had a very young security guard standing inside. He saw my shirt and shocked me by knowing who Robinson was. I asked his age and he said, "I'm twenty-six", and explained that he watches old movies with his grandfather. I told him about the EGR blend and my history regarding the blend, and he said he was just getting into pipe smoking, and was still learning. He owned a corn cob, which he didn't care for, and a metal pipe. I gave him a few tips, and said I'd give him a few pipe tobacco samples. I went home, unloaded the car, zip-locked four aros since he likes them, and drove back to the store. While he was thanking me, I pulled out a Made in France unsmoked zulu (some of you might have seen me smoked those French pipes when I work), and his eyes bulged out as his mouth dropped. I told him that he needed a briar, and gave him some info on briar care. I told him if he wanted to do me a favor, do one for somebody sometime. He smiled and said he would.

Now, it's dinner time.
View attachment 243767
Class act! I recently did the same with a neighbors son in law.
I firmly believe to keep our passion for pipes alive we have to mentor someone that’s interested .

Hutch Piper

(Hutch1904)
Mar 12, 2022
Charlotte, NC

Now, it's dinner time.
View attachment 243767
Great story! You are

Now, it's dinner time.
View attachment 243767
You, sir, are a true ambassador. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.