PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
Now smoking year 2012 E-soterica Dunbar in a smooth straight, dark brown early 1960s Lane era Charatan Selected 43 Dublin with a black vulcanite double comfort saddle stem. This pipe was formerly owned by actor William Conrad.
View attachment 213865
@JimInks Today I learned the Esoterica folks have said they make their blends to be smoked fresh and did not seem to think aging was good. Do you have a perspective/preference/comment to offer regarding their blends (or this one) when fresh vs aged?

Last edited:

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
@JimInks Today I learned the Esoterica folks have said they make their blends to be smoked fresh and did not seem to think aging was good. Do you have a perspective/preference/comment to offer regarding their blends (or this one) when fresh vs aged?
They are correct in that their blends are ready to smoke. However, some do improve with age in my opinion: Tilbury, Dunbar, Stonehaven, Scarborough, and Peacehaven. I didn't intentionally age the majority of anything that I have cellared. I bought what I could when I could, and whatever benefits I get from ageing is a plus.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Since the blend I posted the other night doesn’t actually exist, this will be my first real smoke for the month of April. Going to have Cornell & Diehl/Warped Saint Espresso (0472/3000) in the undated Meerschaum Cutty listed the other night—this really was from @ashdigger , though.

View attachment 213931
What’s funny is that I know I didn’t question the blend. So many blends. So many creative names. So little mental bandwidth

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Earlier, I smoked a bowl of Wilke No. 222 in an undated straight, smooth light brown unbranded short shank Bing-ish billiard with a long, tapered black vulcanite stem.
French "Bing".jpg

Not far from finishing this bowl of Low Country Pipe & Cigar Natural Virginia & Burley in a 2020 straight black sandblasted Merchant Service “Bing” Standard with a nickel band and tapered black vulcanite stem.
Merchant_Service_Standard2020 copy.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
A quarter of the way through my last smoke of the day: Wilke No. 515 Double Shot in a smooth dark medium bend 2021 Peterson Heritage Brown POTY 4AB No. 45/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. This is No. 515 with twice the rum of the Basil Rathbone blend.
4AB_Brown-left.jpg

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Trying for the first time, Anomalous in a Bay Denmark apple with a cumberland stem.

Hmm @JimInks I wonder if it’s my tiny Bay Denmark, because this comes across very mild, but with extreme amounts of wonderful notes and complexity. I only gave it 5 minutes drying.

I could easily smoke this all day, and when I saw you said not an all day smoker, I was scratching my head. 🤔

Yours doesn’t come across very mild for a VaPer? hmm 🤔

Be well everyone! ❤️

987C2002-DFF4-4D16-BEF5-700986050BFC.jpeg

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
Hmm @JimInks I wonder if it’s my tiny Bay Denmark, because this comes across very mild, but with extreme amounts of wonderful notes and complexity. I only gave it 5 minutes drying.

I could easily smoke this all day, and when I saw you said not an all day smoker, I was scratching my head. 🤔
....? His reviews aren't gospel my dude. Smoke what you, want how you want.

140 in the bent Barling
IMG_1500.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.